Monday, February 22, 2021

Muppet Treasure Island


One of my absolute, all time, favorite movies! Actually, I was pretty much raised on the Muppets. I grew up watching all the films (my favorite is still The Great Muppet Caper, followed by Muppet Treasure Island and A Muppet Christmas Carol comes in third) and I've never really grown out of them at all. Of all of the films, Muppet Treasure Island, hands down, has the absolute best soundtrack! It's difficult to have a favorite song, but everytime I watch the film, I'm always singing the songs for the next several days.



So, the movie quickly starts off with the burying of a massive treasure by the feared Captain Flint who then went on to kill his crew. 

"Shiver Me' Timbers"

The story is being told by a charismatic sea captain, Billy Bones at on old tavern. Jim Hawkins, Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat all work at the tavern and enjoy Billy's stories. However, Jim, an orphan, dreams of a life on the sea. His father had been a first mate and was killed at sea.

"Something Better"

Something better shows up sooner than Jim Hawkins thinks. Billy Bones receives a death threat by means of the famed black spot from a former shipmate and dies suddenly. Before his death, he gives Jim the treasure map that supposedly leads to Flint's treasure on the famed Treasure Island. Soon the tavern is attacked by Billy's old shipmates and Jim, Gonzo and Rizzo make a run for it. 

With the help of Squire Trelawney (Fozzy Bear), the boys book passage on the Hispaniola; captained by the strict Abraham Smollett (Kermit the Frog) and his by the book first mate Mr. Arrow (Sam the Eagle). They also meet the ship's cook, Long John Silver (the amazing and unmatched Tim Curry!) who  immediately befriends Jim. Soon they set sail, finally getting the adventure Jim has been dreaming of.

"Sailing for Adventure"

Jim and Long John spend a great deal of time together (as a cabin boy, Jim's responsibility is to clean the ship and work alongside the cook), much to Gonzo and Rizzo's annoyance. Before Billy Bones died he had warned the boys to beware of a one legged man, but Jim refuses to listen to his friend's warnings of Long John or his shady crew. Time out at sea, in the sweltering heat, starts to take a toll on the crew and soon cabin fever sets in.

"Cabin Fever"

After Rizzo and Gonzo are almost killed by Long John's crew looking for Flint's map, Smollett demands that Jim give him the map. When they finally reached the supposed Treasure Island, Long John and his crew split off from the Hispaniola, kidnapping Jim in the process and using him to help find the map.

"A Professional Pirate"

Smollett, Gonzo and Rizzo all go looking for Jim and end up captured by the island's pig-like natives. Led by the dramatic Benjamina Gunn who has a history with Smollett.

"Boom Shakalaka" 

Jim manages to get away from Silver and rescues Gonzo and Rizzo. The trio head back to the Hispaniola. Meanwhile, Smollett is left behind to deal with Benjamina as they try to hammer out their past issues with one another. With Jim gone, Silver finds Benjamina and demands that she tell them where the treasure is. After 10 seconds of deliberation she cracks and tells Silver. As thanks, Silver hangs Smollett and Benjamina from a cliff to die. 

"Love Led Us Here"

Smollett and Benjamina are rescued by Jim when he gets the Hispanolia to the cliff. Smollett, Jim and the others all take on Silver and his crew before he can get away with the treasure. Later that night, Silver tries to escape in a lifeboat and is caught by Jim. Out of kindness, Jim lets Silver flee with some of the treasure. Yet, Silver's punishment comes when the treasure is too heavy and Silver is out in the middle of nowhere with no help to call upon. 

Smollett takes Benjamina onto the Hispaniola and they all sail home. They've all had enough adventure to last them...well until the next treasure map shows up.

"Love Power"

This movie. Such a classic jewel of my childhood! I've never read the book, but I feel if I did, I would see the Muppets as the characters and not actual humans. That being said, Muppets Treasure Island will always be one of my ultimate feel good movies to go back to time and time again.

"Love Led Us Here" (Pop version)



13 comments:

  1. I used to watch and rewatch this. That first song always got stuck in my head.
    I think I even had a pc game for it. I saw the Muppets as characters too.
    This post made me so nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s always been a family favorite.

      That was my hope!

      Delete
  2. I recall seeing the trailer for Muppet Treasure Island and wondering, as an old time fan of the story, how it would work. It is a perfect adaption! The Muppets with Treasure Island and with A Christmas Carol seem created for the classics. I only wish they would venture into classic literature again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dying for them to make A Three Musketeers movie!

      Delete
    2. Yes! We need another perfect movie in our lives.

      Delete
  3. I love this movie so much. I wish they'd adapted more classics, since this and A Christmas Carol are pure gold. I think the part where Miss Piggy justifies her codependency as "I'm a pig, I NEED commitment!" is absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been wanting a Three Musketeers movie for ages. I mean it’s all there!

      Every line from Miss Piggy is gold!

      Delete
  4. I'm a HUGE Muppets fan, but strangely enough I've never seen this one (BTW, I thought A Christmas Carol was great!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Christmas Carol was excellent! It's usually the first movie we watch at Christmas.

      Delete
  5. I didn't see the Muppet movies until I went to college, but this one and A Muppet Christmas Carol became total favorites. I like Carol a little better, but this one is such wonderful fun. I mean, you can't beat Tim Curry being all Tim Curry-ful :-D

    Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many childhood memories wrapped up in this film!

      Thank you for hosting it!

      Delete
  6. The only Muppets movies that I've seen are A Christmas Carol and The Muppets Take Manhattan, but this looks like a jolly good time in all aspects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one, in my opinion, is possibly the funniest out of the whole series.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.