Monday, February 8, 2021

Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party: Kick-off and Tag


Heidi's Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party has started! I'm going to be posting about Juliet Ashton and Dawsey Adams from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society They were such a sweet couple and I loved their quiet relationship that developed over the course of time.


Valentine's Day Period Drama Tag

1) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?


2) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?

- Who hasn't seen a period drama?? And it would also depend on the period too and what they might be interested in. My first experience with period drama was Anne of Green Gables. The simplicity of the everyday makes it a good starter. It's also a balanced mix of comedy and drama as well.

3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance?

- Lord John Clayton and Lady Jane Porter Clayton...or Tarzan and Jane from The Legend of Tarzan. They were a great example of a real marriage. 

4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance?

- Honesty. Always for any relationship, romantic or platonic. 

5) Worst villain/antagonist?

- Rodmilla De Gent from Ever After. She was the perfect, evil stepmother. 

6) A favorite proposal scene?

- Juliet's proposal from Guernsey. 

7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?

- Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip from The Crown. I loved them!

8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?

- Does It's A Wonderful Life count??

9) Most mature romance in a period drama (as in depth and wisdom of characters)?

- Benedick and Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing.

10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?

- Felicity King and Gus Pike from The Road to Avonlea! They were the definition of excruciating.  

11) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?

- Jane Eyre. It's the most adapted book to film ever made. Yet, I've seen several versions and each on of them were excellent. 

12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?

- Not a Swan! Wonderful book, wonderful story! It needs to be made!



18 comments:

  1. Loved your answers! You always come up with so many great sounding titles I haven't heard of... I've known for a long time I definitely need to read & see Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society though. I've got the book on my TBR stack. I'm not a big stickler these days for order, but do you think it's one that should be read before watching or it doesn't matter?

    Also most definitely second your Anne recommendation.

    And I'm so glad you brought up B&B in Much Ado! 'Tis my favorite Shakespeare and they need to be much more talked of than they are. xD (Also, this doesn't at all refer to your post, but I did reword #9 after posting as I thought it might be confusing. Anyway, no worries cause you got the point of the question, I only mention it so you don't notice a difference on any one else's answers and think there's something squirrelly up. ;D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were fun questions! You would love Guernsey! It's definitely more than a romance, but rather the life situations that led to the eventual romance. I usually read the book before viewing the movie, but with Guernsey it doesn't matter. They followed the book very well. The only differences was that they left out a few characters.

      I have so many fond memories of watching Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea! And also the Road to Avonlea. My whole family love them!

      Beatrice and Benedick are awesome! Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing was my introduction to Shakespeare and I remember watching his film as a child (maybe 7 or 8) and still being able to understand the whole story. That's brilliant storytelling and film adaptation.

      Delete
  2. You have good taste. ;)

    Gus and Felicity were ADORABLE but yes, that took forever. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I loved Gus and Felicity, but the primary problem in the relationship was Felicity herself. She caused more drama than was actually needed until Gus finally left. I liked Felicity later on, but she was never a favorite character. I always preferred Izzy or Cecily.

      Delete
  3. Yessssssssss, Beatrice and Benedick! Love them! My favorite version of their characters is David Tennant/Catherine Tate. *chef's kiss* the cHEMISTRYYYYYYYYY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that one, but it's in my YouTube 'watch later' folder. I've heard that it's excellent! Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson will always be Benedick and Beatrice to me.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, I'm not sure I realized there was another version, I need to watch that.

      Delete
  4. Great answers!! Especially for #7 -- I may have to steal your selection.

    And I always love seeing Ever After get attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crown is great! If you love royalty and history you would enjoy. And with your love of film aesthetics, this series is perfect.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've already seen it (and loved it)! Well, the first two seasons. I wasn't very interested in the third season, though I did watch one episode with my parents. I'm excited to get my hands on S4 when it comes to DVD, though.

      Delete
  5. I was trying to find a way to fit Ever After into my answers but I wasn't able to manage it. It's delightful! I used to get tired of it because it's my sister's favorite movie, but now I get more out of it each time I watch.

    I'd forgotten about Juliet's proposal! I want to rewatch that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I'm asked what my favorite period drama is, my reaction is "Give me a moment." I actually haven't sat down and watched Ever After in ages, but I've seen it so many times, I probably know the movie by heart!

      Quite a few people used Juliet as an example to answer that question!

      Delete
  6. Anne of Green Gables is definitely a wonderful way to introduce people to period dramas! Especially kids and teens. So approachable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always one of my favorite movies growing up

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.