Wednesday, February 17, 2021

A Walk in the Clouds


When Cordy posted her tag, one of her questions was Would you ever pretend to be a man's fiancée who you've never actually met? A humorous question to be sure, but definitely one to think about. And as I was thinking on my answer, one of my favorite romantic movie came to mind. A Walk in the Clouds starring Keanu Reeves is a rather unknown and underrated film that came right in the middle of the rom-com heyday of the 90's. Now it's as predictable as a film can get and very sappy and overemotional and just an absolute joy to watch. More than an unexpected romance between a man and woman, it also tells the story of a family, their traditions and facing an unknown future.


  In 1945, Paul Sutton returns home to San Francisco after fighting in the Pacific Theater. With the war finally over, Paul is ready to start his life with his young bride that he hasn't seen since their wedding day four years ago. As was typical of a GI marriage, Paul and his wife, Betty, had only known each other for 24 hours before they got married and after four years, they're still clueless. Growing up in a lonely orphanage, Paul dreams of a happy family, while his wife...well, Betty really isn't sure of what she wants.

When Paul leaves San Francisco for a business trip he meets a lovely young woman, Victoria Aragon, a college student who is in a great deal of trouble. After an affair with her professor, Victoria is pregnant and terrified to go home and face her staunchly strict and traditional father with the horrendous news. Although Paul hardly knows her, he feels obligated to help someone so helpless and scared. He offers to pose as Victoria's husband for the day and then plans to leave the following morning. At least it will save Victoria from shame and the wrath of her father.

Victoria reluctantly agrees and takes Paul to her family's sprawling vineyard estate in Napa Valley. There Paul is introduced to Victoria's lively Mexican family, including her demanding and judgmental father. In a matter of days, Paul and Victoria's feelings begin to develop into actual love for one another. Soon, Paul finds himself conflicted between his own floundering marriage and a life with this wonderful woman and the family he always dreamed of having. 

This precious story did a good job at portraying Paul's struggle to remain a faithful husband as he finds himself falling in love with another woman. All through the film he tries to return home, but someone or something keeps him at the vineyard. It's hard not to like Victoria, as she's very sweet, intelligent and stronger than she believes herself to be. Mexican heritage is proudly written through the film and it was fascinating watching the grape harvest, the winemaking process and the extreme care that is put into running a vineyard estate. 

The film also deals with PTSD that of course was so common in the men who returned home. Paul's childhood in the orphanage coincides with his nightmares, proving how lonely he has been all his life. However, the more time he spends with Victoria and her family, the lesser his war trauma has a hold on him. 

So, thank you to Cordy for your tag that jogged my memory for this film and has me believing that if Keanu Reeves wanted me to pose as his fiancée/spouse, I would say yes without a second thought. 



8 comments:

  1. Great review! This looks like a really good movie. I'll have to watch it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch a good rom com. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my list, I keep adding to my list but not watching much, I think I'm going to have to make it a habit to watch a movie a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. I always have a list of movies that I want to watch, but never get around to any of them.

      Delete
  4. This is a fabulous movie, quiet, romantic and underrated as you said. I've always meant to write a review, but you covered the reasons why it is worth watching.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.