Sunday, October 18, 2020

Inklings Link-up~October 2020

 

I had so much fun with the September Inklings link-up! I can't believe it's taken me this long to join in the fun and creativity.


1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back here in your post.

2. Link-back to Heidi's blog in the comments section with a link to you Inklings prompt.

October Prompt

A scene that shouts 'autumn' to you in book or film


The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2004 film)


I know this is a small scene at the end of the film, but there is greater significance behind it. Seasons play a vital role in the first installment of C.S. Lewis' series The Chronicles of Narnia. First with the 100 year brutal winter of the White Witch. Then the springtime that welcomed Aslan's return. The summer that represents the Golden Age of the Kings and Queens of Cair Paravel. Finally at the end of their time, our young kings and queens have reached the autumn of their reign in Narnia. The colors are changing. Even their clothes have taken on autumnal shades of purple and scarlet. 

Autumn is the season that represents change in a bittersweet way. From the innocence of springtime, to the youthfulness of summer, we come to the time of adolescence, the young adult years. That time period of leaving our childhood and entering the threshold of adulthood. The autumn of our years is where we take the lessons that were taught to us from our elders and go out into the world and apply it into our everyday lives. It's how we grow and learn. 

For the Pevensie children their time in Narnia has better prepared them to return to their world of war and separation from their loved ones. By ending the story in the beginning of autumn, it signifies that the kings and queens have lived out their years and that are ready to move on. They have grown in their time in Narnia as children. And while they may return to their own world as children, they have gained the wisdom and knowledge to better their lives when their adolescent years come upon them. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you joined in too! :) *sending hugs*

    Oh, this is a good selection! And a great post. Btw, just seguing off what you said at the beginning about their wardrobe, my other selection for this (which I didn't use solely cause the whole thing shouts with the lushness of autumn to me and I couldn't decide which scene would be best), is Ever After. Do you think medieval and Renaissance wardrobes just lend themselves particularly well to that fall feel? And speaking of the growth to maturity topic, Ever After really does fit into that too, but I'd never directly considered it tying with the autumnal setting. So that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really enjoying it!

      Ever After would have been an excellent choice! I think the story takes place in mid-late summer, judging from the swimming scene, but the movie is plethora of writing prompts as well. And medieval and Renaissance wardrobes do tend to have an autumnal feel to them, mainly because the fabrics were so dark and European winters were so cold.

      Delete
  2. Ah, brilliant choice! Narnia is always fitting. And everything that you said about the seasons relating to growing up is perfect! Such a lovely post. I'm glad that you've joined Inklings! Actually, you writing about Caddie Woodlawn last month inspired me to start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know it was a small scene, but falltime was heavily emphasized in that particular scene. I've actually been wanting to join the Inklings for a while because I've wanted to do more an my site than movie and book reviews (which I love, but I don't want this site to become a review site either), so I'm looking for other ideas for my site than can still pertain to what I love.

      Yahh! I can't wait to read your thoughts on it!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.