Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Fandom Tag


Skye tagged me!

Thank you!


So just to start off, I have a rather love/hate relationship with fandoms. They can be fun to be a part of whether on Pinterest, Tumblr, We 💓 It, Facebook, Instagram, etc. However, I've experienced that all fandoms have the capability of becoming toxic, hateful and vitriolic. I've seen fans completely destroy the whole basis of what the fandom is about and make it a disaster to be in. As I wrote in my post Toxic Fan Syndrome fans tend to have a hard time ciphering fantasy from reality. And when the reality hits against their dreamworld, then it becomes hell on earth.

Example, The Mandalorian actress, Gina Carino dared to speak against liberal ideologies, the fans got pissed and she was fired from her job. When fans become too deeply invested in a fandom and lose all sense of reality, they become dangerous. And while it's sad at what happened to Gina Carino, conservatives cannot just go and laud her as a conservative hero either. By doing that, they by default have succumbed to the dangers of TFS and losing reality. It only takes one statement from Gina that the Conservatives will hate and in seconds she'll get cancelled by them too. 

What I'm trying to say is fandoms are fun, but they can also be detrimental. They are not the real world. What's written in a story is vastly different from what's being lived in real life. Separate actors from characters and professional writing from fan-fiction, and you can have a very balanced life within any fandom. 

What’s the first fandom you remember becoming a part of?

I have older brothers and sisters and so growing up I was oftentimes influenced by whatever they were interested in. So, my first real fandom was probably Star Wars


The first fandom that I independently chose to become a part of may have been Harry Potter.


What’s the newest fandom you’ve come to enjoy?

I think history counts as a fandom. So WWII history and the small, but delightful Band of Brothers fandom that has a remarkably non-toxic and overwhelmingly fun presence on Tumblr. 


Also Agent Carter. Such a shame the show was cut short. It had potential to go places. 


What’s a fandom guaranteed to give you feels?

The Vampire Diaries

The Originals

Merlin

The Musketeers

What’s a guilty pleasure fandom of yours?

Twilight. I love it still!


What’s the weirdest fandom you’ve heard of/are a part of?

All fandoms have their own element of weirdness that's bound to come out of the wordwork at some point.

Favorite popular/widely-known fandom?

Popular fandoms tend to be the most toxic and hateful (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Sherlock), so my favorite popular and least toxic fandom is Marvel/MCU.


Favorite bookish fandom?

The Chronicles of Narnia. It's a small, fairly quiet fandom, but I can never get too old for Narnia.


What do you consider your ‘homebase’, a fandom you can always come back to?

The Lord of the Rings

The Hobbit

The Chronicles of Narnia

What’s a fandom you know all about…but aren’t actually into it?

Supernatural. I've seen 3 season of Supernatural, but once they started exploring the Christian supernatural and veering away from the folklore stories, then I called it quits.


Vikings. I was kind of obsessed with this fandom for awhile and have been debating to watch the series or not. I actually have an entire fan-fiction idea based on the Vikings series about one of Ragnar's son's, who in the actual legends married a Saxon princess. I'm surprised no one has cashed in on that piece of history/legend.


Which fandom has the best characters?

Leverage, hands down. Seriously the best, most well written characters I've ever seen in a series!

Name your all-time favorite ship.

Zoe Hart and Wade Kinsella

Spike Thomson and Lynda Day

What’s a fandom you’re curious about joining?

I've just started Anne With an E, amid a great deal of controversy and curiosity. Just because I like a book or a show, doesn't necessarily mean I want to be part of the fandom. So far as I've seen, it's not that bad, so time will tell. 



I tag:





What’s the first fandom you remember becoming a part of?
What’s the newest fandom you’ve come to enjoy?
What’s a fandom guaranteed to give you feels?
What’s a guilty pleasure fandom of yours?
What’s the weirdest fandom you’ve heard of/are a part of?
Favorite popular/widely-known fandom?
Favorite bookish fandom?
What do you consider your ‘homebase’, a fandom you can always come back to?
What’s a fandom you know all about…but aren’t actually into it?
Which fandom has the best characters?
Name your all-time favorite ship.
What’s a fandom you’re curious about joining?

4 comments:

  1. So glad you did the tag!
    Fandoms can be so toxic, which is why I honestly never feel like I'm quite in them. It's like I like this thing and I might to art of it, but it stops there.
    Star Wars and Narnia were big ones for me too.
    You picked such good ones.
    I loved Anne with an E but I get why a lot of people didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for tagging me! It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for tagging me! Sorry that it took me so long to comment. I had a lot of fun with it HERE.

    People need to keep in mind everything you said about toxic fandoms! We should all just be nice and appreciate others opinions.

    Oh, I've been wanting to get into Agent Carter! It seems awesome.

    I agree, being too old for Narnia is impossible! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      It's good to have fun in a fandom, but a sense of reality has to be present too.

      Agent Carter is sooo good! I think you would love it!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.