Monday, February 7, 2022

The Give Thanks for Books Tag 2021


Olivia and Eva both tagged me for this seasonal tag back in November, but as I was in a rather dark place at the time I never really got around to doing it. Now that I'm in a semi better state of mind, I finally got all of my books in order for the tag!


G // A book you're Grateful to a friend for recommending: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Both my sister and my friend recommended this book to me and I am so grateful they did! Everything about Louis Zamprini's life was remarkable. From his reckless youth that discovered his talent for running that brought him to the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Then WWII where he become an excellent bombardier, his plane going down and surviving 46 days stranded in the ocean. Captured by the Japanese where he face endless torture and cruelty by the hands of the notorious Bird. Eventually returning home as a war hero, but then his struggle with PTSD and alcoholism that threatened his marriage and his family life. Then finally his conversion to Christ and how his life as a Christian shaped generations that came after him. Truly a remarkable book about a remarkable life. 

I // A book that fires your Imagination: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Seeing as it was this series that sparked my love for writing and was the inspiration for my first ever fan-fiction, it's only natural that I would select Narnia for this category. Everything about Narnia has fired my imagination from the time I was a little girl watching the old BBC films with my brothers and sisters. Narnia and the subsequent minor lands is so rich with history and its own sense of life. Each book tackles an issue of morality that is dealt with in both life and Christian living. Lewis incorporated all these theological ideals and set them within a world of magic, mystery and adventure. He left a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions that allows the audience to imagine and perceive what might have been and leave the answers solely to them.

V // A book with a Vivid setting: The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling 

What kind of book tag would this be if I didn't mention my beloved childhood hero, Harry Potter and his adventures in the Wizarding World?? Rowling's unbelievably wacky, wonderful Wizarding World --- that invisibly coincides with the world of the non-magic -- has always had me awestruck at her creativity and genius. The Wizarding World, its inhabitants that range from the highly moral to the darkest of human depths, the magic that creates it and holds it together and the exhaustive history that is unfolding over time. The best part about this magical setting is that nothing can be too weird, unthinkable or unimaginable. Anything and everything that any fantasy geek could contrive up in their heads, J.K. Rowling can find a way to incorporate into her world. 

E // An Encouraging Book: Easy Company Soldier by SGT. Don Malarkey  

As I wrote in my review, I usually don't cry while reading, but this one had me in tears. In WWII, Donald Malarkey of Astoria, Oregon left his home and joined the paratroopers. He was assigned to Easy Company where he made some wonderful friends who fought and died by his side. Don's story of resilience and strength that came from childhood hardship that molded him into the soldier he would become. Whether it was running up Currahee under the command of Herbert Sobel, witnessing horror and hell in the frozen woods of Bastogne, never being able to reap the true rewards of his time spent in war and always haunted by his PTSD. Don Malarkey's story encourages anyone to pick themselves up and carry on.

T //  A book that Taught you something: Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxes 

This book taught me several things. Historically, the life of the MP, abolitionist and Christian social reformer William Wilberforce. Emotionally, how suffering never ends, but compassion will always be found. Spiritually, how one man and small group of friends trusted God and were set on a path of true world wide reform. Those and so much more can be found in Amazing Grace. I came across so many inciteful passages of history, wisdom and truth.  

H // A Happy book: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The idea of finding a secret dead garden and bringing it back to life, while in the meantime you are also changing and growing is a rather happy idea. As a little girl I loved flowers and gardens and was always trying to find a secret place to hide and read in. So you can imagine that this book was the culmination of all my little girl loves. To be honest A Secret Garden deals with some heady issues such as as the neglect and abandonment of children. Plus Mary and Colin are the worse kind of kids in the beginning, but that's the garden ultimately saves them. A happy story about finding a happiness amid the loneliness and loss of young life. 

A // An Amusing book: Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

The adventures (and misadventures) of Caroline Augusta "Caddie" Woodlawn continues to amuse me even after 20 years. I could relate to Caddie in some ways as something of a middle child in a big family who loved books and the outdoors as a kid. I loved her trouble that she always found herself in, especially falling into the frozen river and having to stay in bed which is the beginning to my favorite chapter "Attic Magic." Caddie's two brothers, Warren and Tom actually provide the most comic relief. Tom's story about pee-wee and dear Warren's recitation. And then poor Annabelle! Everything about this book is nostalgic for me and never fails to make me laugh. 

N //A  New-to-you book or author you discovered this year: Paris, My Sweet by Amy Thomas

I found this book at the lending library outside the rec center and saw Paris and chocolate. I was sold and brought the book home! When food blogger Amy Thomas gets the dream of a lifetime working at an ad agency in Paris, she's more than thrilled. For almost two years, Amy chronicles her time in Paris, the good and bad, through metaphorical food. Using cupcakes, hot chocolate, macarons and more, Amy describes her new life in the city of love by comparing her current situation to whatever food she finds herself indulging in. This book was so much fun and now I wish I had kept it instead of sending it to the bookstore!

K // A fictional character you feel Kinship with: Edmund Pevensie 

Most girls who read Narnia probably wanted to be like Lucy or Jill or even Ramandu's daughter dependent on how badly they were crushing on Caspian. And as a little girl I may have done the same. However, it wasn't until I was writing my first fan-fiction about Edmund that I realized how much alike we are. The lost child with a bad attitude and desperate for attention. Then as we grow older we learn from the mistakes we make and are hesitant at times to repeat the past, lest it damages us again. Like Edmund, I frequently seek redemption when I have wronged others and I strive to be just in every way possible. At times I want attention and can't abide authority. Edmund has always been the most real of all of Lewis' characters, because Edmund represents us. The lost and frightened soul who strives everyday to become stronger and more faithful.  

S // A book you want to Share with others: Not a Swan by Michelle Magorian 

I love, love, love this book! Everyone needs to read it or at least consider it. It's romance and mystery all bundled up in a sleepy English village during WWII. This was another hidden treasure find from the second hand bookstore I shop at. It has total movie/Masterpiece Theater content and I'm still waiting for it! Seriously, Not a Swan is a great read that deals with some difficult issues told from the POVs of several strong women and the wonderful (and not so wonderful) men in their lives. 

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely tag!!! So many wonderful books!! Unbroken is such a beautiful story of grace! I was introduced to the world of Narnia when my mom read aloud all the books!! Edmund has such an interesting arc and so relatable. Although, I think my favorite character growing up was Eustace. ;)

    Now I've only just started exploring the wizzarding world of HP, but you are right, it's so vivid. Currently listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

    Not a Swan sounds so interesting!! Will have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun to do!

      You'll have to keep me up to date with your explorations in the Wizarding World. Once you're in it's hard to get out.

      Yes! I feel like I'm the only person that has read it!

      Delete
    2. I will!! I think currently my favorite character is Ron. He is likable and honestly cracks me up. :)

      Awe,I have the same problem with Th Sword in the Stars. No one seems to have read it. We should do a trade. I read Not a Swan and you could read The Sword in the Stars. Be fun seeing each others thoughts. Just an idea.

      Delete
    3. Ron is awesome! Infinitely better in the books than the film.

      That would be a great idea! Unfortunately, Not a Swan is out of print, but if you want to swap books with each other, I would be totally down with it. We just need to get each other's addresses.

      Delete
    4. Yes!! Plus, I love how the Rowlings shows his emotions. As humans we go through so many emotions in one day. I appreciate the Ron particularly does as well.

      Well, turns out my library has Not a Swan. Who would have thought. That would be good. I own the second authorized version which is longer then his original. He added more to certain characters stories. It's by Wayne Thomas Batson.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers! Narnia is so meaningful to me. I'm planning to reread the whole series this year, and I can't wait.

    Not a Swan sounds promising! I remember you mentioning it before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.