Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Spider-Man: No Way Home

The 3rd movie in a trilogy usually wraps up our protagonist's story. However, in the case of Peter Parker, the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Avenger and former protégé of Tony Stark, the trials and triumphs of his life are never really over. The sad thing about Peter is because he's so young and so hopeful and just given his genuine personality, he has never really been tempted to engage with the darker and evil aspects of human nature. Peter doesn't have a malicious bone in his body. His heart and mind are completely giving toward others. And that is where Peter's demise comes in. He never sets out on the path of evil, but his frequent desire to do the good thing regardless of the cost will always be Peter's primary flaw. 



Following the events in Europe Spider-Man is outed and  revealed to be high school student Peter Parker. In seconds, Peter's double life comes to an unexpected end. He, Aunt May and their friends are rounded up by the FBI, questioned and even face going to court. With the help of a somewhat...unorthodox lawyer Peter manages to escape charges, but his personal life takes a major hit. Peter's new girlfriend, Michelle and his best friend, Ned have have always had Peter's back throughout everything. However, they too end up suffering the consequences of Peter's reveal.

And as always, in the hopes of doing something right for the people he cares about, Peter ends up making some extreme detrimental mistakes. Although warned by Stephen Strange about his choices, Peter nonetheless continues to be a force of good and believer of second chances. Yet, Peter's decisions have an all reaching effect that goes beyond his universe. Villains from other universes begin to infiltrates Peter's world all claiming to be enemies of Spider-Man. Except, Peter Parker and his alter-ego are not the only ones in existence. There appear to be others as well. Stephen Strange's fear of breaking into multiverses has come true.

In order to make right the wrong that he has done as well as heal these people who have been damaged by others, Peter gets unlikely help from himself. Well, other versions of himself. Each who have had their own victories and losses. Peter not only gets unexpected wisdom and insight from these other heroes, but understanding into the role that has been given to him. 

I figured this was going to be a fun movie, but I never expected that it was going to a fantastic movie! Tom Holland (like always) was on the top of his acting game. And I was THRILLED when they finally gave Michelle a personality! She was no longer the broody politically correct loner, but a fun, intelligent, highly resourceful ally and supportive girlfriend. Michelle was actually my favorite character in this one. Better late then never.

Doctor Strange may have seemed out of place in a Spider-Man movie, but I never say no to Benedict Cumberbatch, especially when he is playing Doctor Stephen Strange. With the loss of Tony Stark, Peter doesn't really have a mentor to guide him. Stephen ends up being that unlikely person. Someone who has been down that path maybe more than once and understands the consequences of decisions. 

And now, our multiverse Spider-Mans! I had heard a rumor that Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield were going to be on the film, but I thought only as cameo roles. Just in and out in a few minutes. I was so glad to be wrong! When Andrew Garfield showed up, there were laughs from the audience, just like seeing an old friend. Then Tobey Maguire appeared and the theater literally cheered. Most of the people seeing the movie were about my age and so they grew up with Tobey Maguire being their Spider-Man. The nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks : )

All three of these guys worked brilliantly together. Although they play the same character, they are very diverse in their performances and their characters are differently written.

  • Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker is soft spoken and reserved
  •  Andrew Garfield's is outgoing 
  • Tom Hollands is intensely Type A and always on the move
  • Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man focused on Peter's artistic and creative talents.
  • The other two focused on Peter's scientific side. 
  • Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man had Gwen Stacey while the other two had different versions of MJ.

 Their conversations were absolutely priceless and I loved every moment they were together on screen. 

Spider-Man: No Way Home is hardly an ending to a trilogy because Peter's story is anything but wrapped up. Instead it ends with him starting a new life and that can lead the story anywhere. 

6 comments:

  1. Loved your overview!! I think this was one of the best spider man movies I've seen!! MJ character did grow on me, but for some reason I still struggle liking her. Dr. Strange and Wong were nice additions, but I agree they felt a little out of place. I'd been expecting cameos from Garfield, but was blown away by all three's interaction!! I have only seen bits of Tovy Maguire's spider man though. I'm curious to see how they will incorporate the memory loss of the avengers. Doctor Strange seems to have put himself in a tight position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This one was excellent! The other two were so funny and lighthearted that I wasn't expecting this one to be so intense and emotional. I really did enjoy Michelle's character development in this and how she and Ned really became Peter's primary backbone in this mission. All 3 of them worked well together. I loved seeing Wong again! He and Stephen are such a duo!

      The interactions from the 3 Spider-Men was on point! I've only seen one of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man, but I grew up with Tobey Maguire. When he came onscreen I became the dorky 11 year kid again!

      The memory loss is the reason why I didn't consider this a wrap up for the trilogy, but it's opening so many creative avenue's for future films!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this yet, but I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reveiw, I so want to see this one! I grew up with Tobey Maguire's spiderman and I'm excited to see all them working together. Did it have Willem Dafoe in it as well? I was hoping to see the green goblin again too lol. Anyway, loved your take on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Willem Dafoe was in this one and as creepy as ever!

      Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.