Sunday, November 28, 2021

Goodreads Reviews: The Eleventh Horn: The First Book in the Maccabee Series


 
The Eleventh Horn: The First Book in The Maccabee Series by J. D. Sonne

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


There is a space of time in the history of the Jews known as 'the time of silence.' This is the unwritten history that separates Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament and Matthew, the first book of the New Testament. However, this time period was hardly quiet. After the release from the captivity of the Babylonians and the journey back to the Promise Land, the Israelites eventually found themselves under the control of another powerful heathen force. The Greeks. Cunning, brutal, hedonistic and unmerciful. As with all other enemy forces that have held the Israelites, the Greeks show no regard or respect toward the Jews and their God. Their higher powers seek to dominate and destroy all that the Israelites hold dear, even if it means the blood shed of thousands.

During these dark years of suffering and sorrow, a faithful father and noble priest stood against the might of the Greek Empire, even if it may have meant his death. This one act of rebellion done for the love of his God, would stir the hearts and souls of his people and his own sons. Most notably his second oldest, Judah, whose skill with weapons, knowledge of warfare and superior battle skills earns him the nickname, 'Maccabee' or 'the Hammer.'

All his life Judah knew he wanted to fight. Yet, as the son of the High Priest, Judah is expected to follow in his father's footsteps and study as a scholar. However, Judah frequently bears witness to the subjugation from the Greek conquers and their infiltration into the lives of the Jews. His cousin renounces his life as a Jew when he believed the Greeks to be more culturally advanced and open minded. The senseless murders of entire towns and frequent rapes of young Jewish virgins that result into forced marriages to their Greek oppressors.'

From the battle encampments to the glittering throne rooms of Greek power, soldiers and politicians alike all want to take Judea of only to crush the stubborn, proud Israelites. With his father's blessing, Judah begins to study and train in the art of proper warfare from his Roman best friend. As the Greeks plan and plot to annihilate the Jews, young Judah forges himself from a young boy into a battle ready warrior. Judah, the son of the High Priest becomes Judah Maccabee, the Hammer rallying the support of his people to wage war against their enemy.

The only thing I knew about Judah Maccabee was that he was the reason that Hanukah is celebrated, but I didn't know the actual history itself. It's a shame that his story never made it into the Bible seeing as there is so much of it that has been preserved and studied. The Eleventh Horn didn't just tell Judah's story, but the stories of all those both Jew and non-Jew who are affected by this time.

Dark, gritty and real, the author did not shy away or coat over the the violence of the Greek persecution and the rape of innocent women. The material is just graphic enough to give you the general idea, but not to the point where you're sick to your stomach either. While it's technically historical fiction, it also gives great historical accuracy to the time as well. So, I also felt like I was learning while I was enjoying the story.



6 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting; tonight is the first night of Hanukkah so perfect timing! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! I was trying to get the book read so I could review it on Hanukkah!

      Delete
    2. I'll have to hunt up a copy! Do you celebrate Hanukkah?

      Delete
    3. I got the whole series from Amazon.

      No. I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but I've always been fascinated by it and really Judiasim culture in general. I mean it's where Christianity grew from, so I've always had a great deal of respect for the Jewish people and their culture.

      Delete
  2. Ooh this looks cool. We have both books of Maccabees in the Catholic Bible, but even though I've long had a soft spot for the brothers Maccabee I've yet to read them all the way through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of the Maccabees until earlier this year and I wanted to do some more research on them, but I was surprised at how little I found. What I love about this series is that it is so well written historically, that you learn so much about this fascinating period of time.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.