Friday, January 29, 2021

Carrying a Legacy: Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson


This had been the original (and only) post that I was going to do for Thunderbird Queen's MCU Blogathon. And then I had the crazy idea of reviewing the final six MCU films I hadn't seen. That's six reviews in one month! However I did and I'm rather proud too! The blogathon was suppose to go till the 31st, but I guess they decided to end it early (hence why I don't have the blogathon button on any of my posts). However, I keep to my promises. I said I was going to write about Sam and Bucky and seeing as I love both of them and I can't wait till The Falcon and Winter Soldier, this is a post idea I can't let pass by.



First off I've been madly in love with Bucky Barnes since I first saw Captain America: The First Avenger! After Steve Rogers, he's my favorite MCU character and his story arch is one of the most brilliant and heartbreaking, and the most hopeful. Bucky has been prominently featured in many posts that I've written throughout the years.

Most notably: 

One Man's Victim, Another Man's Villain <-- 2015 Assemble & Unite blog series

Always There, Old Friend <-- 2015 Assemble & Unite blog series

Winter Soldier <--Poem inspired by Never Let Me Go by Florence + The Machine

Bucky Barnes: The Prince From Brooklyn <--This one I'm particularly proud of

All of those posts pretty much sum up my feelings about Bucky as a character, soldier, friend, hero, villain, everything he lost, everything he reclaimed and now moving on to a life of possibilities as a free man. Bucky's journey is a journey of the human soul. He gets lost, his body broken, his mind twisted, his heart hardened. He is made to be a monster, kept on a leash and brought out only for the tasks that needed to be done. 

Then he's redeemed. Brought back to grace and given a second chance. None of those he takes for granted. Bucky is certainly not responsible for what was done to him, yet there is no anger, hated or vitriol towards those that abused him mercilessly for years. He doesn't set out to destroy or extract revenge. No, he goes back to putting his life back together even if it means he's alone. 

And fortunately for him, he's not alone. 


Call it a twist of fate, a stroke of destiny, an answered prayer or just good timing, Sam Wilson arrived on the scene just at the moment he was needed. When everything that was just and good is falling apart, the most just and good of men was right there. A veteran who struggles with PTSD, who has lost a brother in arms, a man who cannot be morally compromised. A man that had only had two conversations with Steve Rogers, and yet that was enough for Steve to realize that this was a man who can be trusted, counted on and never falter. 

Imagine how extraordinary of a person you must be that Captain America only needs five minutes to know your true worth and ask you to fight next to him? Sam offered his assistance when it could have meant losing everything and he did. He was made to go underground, was sent to prison, became a convicted criminal and was on the run for many years. And his reward for such loyalty? Being gifted with the shield of the legend that he was also proud to call his friend. 

If Sam proves anything, it's that being the loyal friend is never a role to be underestimated. The person walking alongside the leader holds just as much importance. More than just the shield and the legacy has been passed on to Sam. Steve's friendship with Bucky is now in Sam's hands as well. Bucky although recovered from HYDRA's long presence, is still going to need help adjusting to a world without fear.


There's probably little doubt that The Falcon and Winter Soldier series came about due to the excellent friendship of Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan. Ever since their promotional tour of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Anthony and Sebastian took the world by storm with their opposites attract bromance. Their comedic timing and interaction with fans was on point and people picked up on that very quickly. So, if you've got these two talented actors that are in the same franchise and have an amazing platonic chemistry with one another, why not bank off that?

Pairing Steve Roger's friends with one another actually makes for a good storyline. Bucky who grew up in the early 20th century and has a history of war and violence. Sam who is the modern day man and is capable of thinking outside of the box. They are are unlikely duo, but their loyalty to Steve Rogers and their desire to carry on his legacy will make for great future stories. 

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I love everything that you said about Sam because he is one of my favorites! And, everything you said about Bucky and their friendship is excellent as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sam is such an angel and I loved seeing his character development in the movies.

      Delete
  2. I love their friendship I can't wait for the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.