Sunday, August 2, 2020

Currently


June

     Summer has completely flown by! In June the gym opened back up and I returned to my job. I thought it was going to start of slowly.

I thought wrong.


My first day I had to be in at front desk duty 5:45 in the morning...and that's been my schedule ever since. Unfortunately, many directors and coordinators left and so there's been new people coming through and new faces to get use to. People are moving up too, including me. When the childcare coordinator left (of whom I'm very good friends with) one of the front desk staff became the next coordinator and therefore I ended up getting her shift. 

Before the quarantine, I was working maybe 4-5 hours a day. Now I'm working 7.5 hours on the weekdays and 9 hours on Saturday (I have Sunday and Tuesday off). So the changes haven't been that bad, just a lot of adjustment. I'm glad to be back at work. Happy that I'm doing beneficial work and making a paycheck again.

On the Fourth of July cruise


July

     In July my family lived out a lifelong dream and finally went to New York! It was beautiful! the most perfect summer holiday vacation! To avoid looking like a tourist I didn't take any pictures, but my sisters were the unofficial photographers and so hopefully I'll have some soon. However, everything was simply perfect. The weather amazing and due to the COVID quarantine the streets were practically empty. We went to several big places, ate some great food and and took an evening cruise on the 4th of July. My family is already making plans for next year.

Reading 

Currently
This book is amazing! I'm halfway through and the lives of these women were so rough and real and heartbreaking. Hallie Rubenhold has really dispelled the myth that all the women were prostitutes; actually four out of the five were women who actually came from good lives and unfortunately were brought down by personal hardships.

Finished
I really enjoy Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series. I have only one book left until I finish the series and this second to the last book was very different from his prior three. Inferno was good, but not my favorite. However, I did learn a great deal of history of Dante Alighieri and The Divine Comedy. The ending left me a little distraught seeing as humanism was the centerpoint of the storyline. However, Dan Brown as able to mix history, art, mystery and adventure in another Robert Langdon art inspired thriller.

TBR 1
I've heard from several people how excellent this book is and so it's the next book on my reading list. Ever since I saw Band of Brothers in January, I've been on a WWII kick (besides the original book, I've read four other biographies from the men of Easy of Company and all of the excellent) and I'm still digging deeper into WWII military history. I got this for $1 at a used bookstore! The war in the Pacific Theater was infinitely worse than the European Theater. The Japanese were unmerciful, cruel and completely inhumane. And after reading about the European side, it's time to learn more about the Pacific.

TBR 2
I figured that there was going to be a prequel novel to The Hunger Games series and that it was probably going to deal with President Snow. The reviews are mixed, but I'll make my own judgments when I'm done. You can guarantee that this will be a future Goodreads book review too. 

Watching

Literally watching this right now! Even though I'm not a sports fan, I love Disney's sports films and this is one of the best (after Remember the Titans). Any movie that has to do with the Olympics I'm always willing to give a chance. Especially since the 2020 Olympics in Japan were cancelled this year. Here's to hoping for next year and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

I'm re-watching Hostages because it seriously is one of the best foreign projects I've ever seen. And I'm still in love with Adam Rubin...I can't help myself, he's such a great character. Although season 1 was better than season 2, both seasons really deal with moral conscience and the life and death decisions we make for the people we love. 

 Listening



Gorgeous piece of music!


Coming Up

In a couple of days I'm going to be taking part in the We Love Lucy Blogathan hosted by Musings of an Introvert. I'm going to be reviewing one of my favorite Lucille Ball films, Yours, Mine and Ours. I'm really excited to read everyone's favorite films and shows starring the legendary Lucille Ball!







 So between getting my job back and getting infinitely better hours and going to New York, this summer has been very good. I still haven't been able to go to the beach yet and I'm dying for the movie theaters to open back up. I have to see Wonder Woman: 1984 in theaters! Yet, you take what you can get and make it worthwhile.

6 comments:

  1. My some family loves Band of Brothers, I was surprised that my mom watched it with my dad, my brother, and one sister. I mean they would watch the series more than once. I think that Dad has some of the books. I don't love war movies and I took awhile to recover/accept what I learned from my WWII and Stalinism classes in college. I think Dad and maybe my brother were the only ones who could handle the companion series, the Pacific.

    We are a sports family although me the least, so lots of people have watched lots of sports movies. Not usually me, but Miracle did catch my attention (the, ah, handsome guys did anyway so my siblings scoffed), so I watched it and loved it.

    I didn't know there was going to be another Wonder Woman, I don't often pay attention to what is out in theatres, and I don't even know what is open know or if there are any movies to play. I think Mulan and Black Widow movies were pushed back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Band of Brothers is excellent. The two part review I wrote is one of my favorites as well. I have seen The Pacific and while it wasn't my favorite, it was very good and told history as it was meant to be told. The best episode, in my opinion, was the love story between John and Lena Basilone. Amidst all the violence and bloodshed in the series, their story was such a breath of fresh air.

      My family have never been into sports, but we do love the Olympics. I definitely learned about about hockey from Miracle and now I want to see a game so badly. And yes, the guys in Miracle are gorgeous!

      I still love going to the movie theater and so I'm always looking for what's coming out. I know that Mulan premiered in Europe shortly before the shut down and unfortunately Black Widow did get pushed back. Which is a shame, Natasha deserved her own movie.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you had a good vacation and are starting safe! Have a good August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trip to New York sounds amazing! I always get self conscious taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time. It was nice to just enjoy the sites and not worry about getting a picture taken of every little event.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.