Monday, January 21, 2019

My Vintage Books


     I absolutely love vintage books! It's like I'm holding a piece of history in my hands. Usually I find vintage books at the book store I volunteer at or the little lending library at the community center. And I'm just amazed that people will just give up such treasures! I thought I would share my growing collection of lovely vintage finds.


The Original Elsie Dinsmore Collection
by Martha Finley


 This is by far my oldest collection of books. The first book was published in 1867 and was the only novel to outsell Little Women. The books I have are:

Elsie Dinsmore (1868)

Grandmother Elsie (1882)

Elsie's New Relations (1883)

Elsie's Friends at Woodburn (1887)

Christmas with Grandmother Elsie (1888)

~ ~ ~

Tales From Shakespeare 
by Charles and Mary Lamb (1878)



     Remember the book that Juliet Ashton bought for Dawsey Adams in the Guernsey film? (Not the novel, she got him a different book) Well this is the actual book! Tales from Shakespeare was published in 1807 and there was no actual copyright in this book I have, so I could only go for the date on the author's note. 

~ ~ ~

In Spite of All
by Archer Wallace (1944)



     I'm not sure how I came across this book, but it's one of my favorites. It gives the true life accounts of ten people from history who overcame their own personal obstacles and how they changed the world. A wonderful little read! The copyright is cleverly written in Roman Numerals and so I had to look it up online and the Roman Numerals translate into 1944.

~ ~ ~

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew
by C.S. Lewis


     My favorite book from the Narnia series and I managed to get a first edition copy! And you know where I found it?? At the community center lending library! I couldn't believe it! I feel like I've struck gold with this one : )

~ ~ ~

     That's my collection of vintage finds so far and I hope to acquire more as time goes by!

Do you collect vintage books?

If so, what are your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. I need to get some vintage books. They are so neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second hand bookstores are the best places to go

      Delete
  2. Wow! Would you ever consider selling any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Would you ever consider selling them?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.