Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Not a Swan - Dream Casting

 
Anyone who's been following me for awhile would probably already know my love for this underrated gem of a novel! Why is hasn't been made into a film is beyond me, but I'm waiting for BBC/ITV, Netflix, anyone to get this story on the screen!

My dream cast list was not easy come up with, but this is pretty close to how the novels describe the characters.
 

 
Millie Bobby Brown as Rose Robinson  - 17 (18 at the end) years old, not particularly beautiful, tomboy, loves writing and reading, daredevil, practical, friendly, strong sense of justice, curious, feels inferior to her sisters, people pleaser, dreams of getting her writing published.
 
Liam Hemsworth as Alec Trelawn - late 20s - handsome, shy, withdrawn from the public, has a hard time connecting to people, loves books, kind, understanding, running away from a painful past, supportive, generous, caring.
 

 

Rose Leslie Harrington as Hilda Withers - 10 year age lapse from her teens to her 20s - stubborn, independent, ahead of her time, loves writing, wants to break away from rules and regulations, bold, heartbroken, seen as mad/insane, refuses to be surrender, inspiring to Rose

 

Daisy Ridley as Diana Robinson - early 20s - beautiful, intelligent, loves her family, dreams of marriage and children, supportive, easy going, strong, encourages her sister, looks past peoples mistakes, finds her place

 

Ellie Bamber as Lettie Robinson - 18/19 - Stunning beauty, naive, dramatic, over the top, insipid, airhead, desperate to be liked, wants the perfect husband, never satisfied

 

 

Cory Gruter-Andrew as Derry Tralawn - 17 - manipulative, arrogant, judgemental, liar, insecure, hurts people, desperate to get what he wants

 

      

 

 

So as you can tell there are some great characters and some not so great characters! Yet, that's what makes this story so wonderful too. I really am hoping that someone will be inspired by this story and make a faithful adaption to bring to the screen.



6 comments:

  1. I've never read this, but I remember you mentioning it several times -- I'll have to keep my eyes open for it!

    And this dream cast was fun to read about even though I know nothing about the show -- I'd watch an adaptation just based off this cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard to find, but it is so worth the read! I'm trying to reread it every year.

      That's good! Dream casting is so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a book I should be searching out!! Always love dreamcasting, even if I have no clue what it's about 😁 Is it just me or does that last guy look an awful lot like Tom Holland?? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it! I simply picked it up at the used bookstore I was volunteering at and was interested because it was WWII. It was fate finding that book! He maybe looks a little bit like him, but Tom Holland is infinitely better looking 😁

      Delete
  3. Read this book last year and already feel like I've forgotten many of the components. ;) Oh, Millie would be a good Rose. Isn't the guy for Derry from Anne with an E? I feel like they would have to give Derry some sort of descent quality in a show, cause he was horrible. I could totally see Netflix making it, right up their alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember! You and I wanted to do the reading swap with Not a Swan and The Sword and The Stars. I will get around to reading your suggestions too. Just need to get through my TBR pile right now.
      Yes, that's Cole from Anne With an A who I absolutely despise! Well, actually Cole could have been a good character, but he was basically the token LBGTQ icon and that was his only purpose. He only thought about himself and not about his poverty stricken family that needed him. However, that actor bears a striking resemblance to how Derry was described in the book, that's why I cast him. No, they shouldn't give Derry any decent quality at all. By making him so terrible, it only allows Alec's character to be stronger and better.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.