Monday, September 21, 2020

The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring


I had never heard of The Lord of the Rings prior to the anticipated release of Peter Jackson's cinematic masterpiece in 2001. My two older siblings were obsessed with the books and only naturally as a younger sibling, I just followed along. I remember seeing The Fellowship of the Ring in theaters and being astounded by the beauty of Middle-Earth and its array of peoples, cultures and customs, overwhelmed by the story of ultimate good versus satanic evil, and so very delighted at the fact that an ordinary and maybe even insignificant person can be chosen to do a monumental mission.

~ ~ ~


Middle-Earth. A land of pre-dated history that boasts an array of fantastical people groups that co-inside with the world of men. The beautiful and ageless elves who dwell in the silver forests and gray mountains. Wise, immortal and merciful; the elves have loved and cared for Middle-Earth since they first came to its land. A people of both war and peace, the elves can be noble allies or formidable adversaries, depending on who decides to cross them. 

The Dwarves of the legendary underground cities of Moria and Erabor. Whose kings of old such as Thorin and his great company fill their hearts with such pride. Forgers and crafters of jewels and precious stones, the Dwarves are often seen as greedy and selfish--especially by their longtime enemies, the elves--, but underneath lay souls of courage that can never be shaken.

The Istari. Wizards of insurmountable powers and prestige and the teachers and counselors to the other cultures of Middle-Earth. They can be both loved and feared, but never underestimated. Due to their knowledge and high position, evil is forever in the shadows of these wizards. Some will falter while others will sacrifice.

The humans, simply known as the race of men, are seen as the weakest for their mortal nature and desire for greatness. The weakness of men causes the most detrimental calamities in Middle-Earth's history. However, it will also be the honor of men that will redeem the wrong that was done centuries before. 

And finally, the Hobbits. An unusual race of small, hairy footed people who dwell in the stunning countryside far away from war and politics. The Hobbits keep to themselves and have no desire to venture outside the comforts of their underground Hobbit holes. Content with eating, drinking and throwing elaborate parties, the Hobbits of The Shire are unaware of the most detrimental evil lying within the heart of their beloved home. 


The One Ring. A small and simple object that was forged by Sauron, the most ignoble enemy in Middle-Earth's history. This ring was created to continue on Sauron's inhumane nature long after he is killed. There are many who crave its power, most notably men, while others would rather see it destroyed. Yet, the destruction of such a magical force is nearly impossible, especially for those who desire its potential abilities for military success and worldly gain. 

When the Ring was found by the Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins during his journey with King Thorin, he never imagined that this little trinket would alter the course of history. It will be Bilbo's nephew Frodo, a lively and bookish boy, who chooses to take the Ring and all its extremities and destroy it in the flames from where it was forged. 

However, Frodo cannot do this alone. He is first joined by his loyal servant, Samwise Gamgee and his mischievous cousins, Merry Brandbuck and Pippin Took. Then by a Fellowship made from Gandalf, the Grey Wizard, Legolas, an elven prince from Mirkwood, Gimli, a dwarf and warrior whose tongue is as sharp as his ax, Boromir, an ambitious man from Gondor who sees the Ring as a tool for victory and finally, Aragorn, a half-human, half-elven ranger whose true calling he has been running from his whole life. 

This company, this fellowship of nine must fight the forces of Sarumon the White, an Istari like Gandalf who has betrayed his closest friend and has sided with Sauron. No matter where they go, Sarumon and his magic finds them. The fellowship must travel through snow, trek underground cities, face hostile elven woods and battle orcs, Urak-Hai, cave trolls and goblins. 

And throughout it all, they grow, learn, understand and bond so closely together that when when the time comes for them to break apart, each will act in accordance to the path that has been set before them and they will be victorious. No matter the cost.


I love everything about this film! The casting, the music, the costumes, the locations! It is in my mind one of the most beautiful films ever made. As a child it astounded me and it astounds me still after almost 20 years. Having never read the books, my only knowledge of the actual story is from the films. However, when I get around to reading the books, I can have the film as a point of reference for the world and peoples of Middle-Earth.



11 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I really enjoyed the way you wrote it. My older sister got into the series before I did, so I followed her. Now we're both trying to convince our other sister to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really unsure as how to tackle such a task as reviewing The Lord of the Rings trilogy because there is so much content in each of them. So, I thought that writing a brief summery of the people groups, the history of the Ring, and the creation of the Fellowship and their journey was the easiest and most concise was to do. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

      Lord of the Rings is one of the best movies to watch with your family!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I really love how you describe it all... Thank you for sharing. :)

    P.S. And hoping you're still planning to join the read along? If so I'm looking forward to it as I may be seeing the movies soon for the first time (some friends really want to watch it together and it's looking like it might just be the right time finally ;)) but it'd be fun to toss around different perceptions as the read along progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot for a review, but it's nothing compared to The Return of the King. It took me days to figure out how I was going to take that one on, but I think you'll enjoy it as well as The Two Towers.

      Yes! I'm definitely planning on joining the read along! I'm so excited for it! I've wanted to do a read along too, but usually I've never had access to the books that people were reading. The Lord of the Rings has been on my shelf for ages.

      Delete
  3. Will always be my top favorite! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to have a favorite Lord of the Rings movie/book. I love all three of them, but The Two Towers is probably my favorite. Thank you! The next two reviews will be out tomorrow and Friday.

      Delete
  4. I definitely encourage people to watch the movies first, then read the books. When I assigned LOTR to a niece for high school lit a few years ago, it really helped her SO much to have faces for all those names and locations in her head for all those places. I saw the movies first myself, though, so that might be part of why I prefer that order of experiencing it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think viewing the movies prior to reading the books help to visualize so much, even though Tolkein was so detailed in his books.

      Delete
  5. Great review! If you're thinking of reading the books sometime soon there's a really great audio book on YouTube that uses the music from the films all the way through (done by a guy called Phil Dragrash). Makes it so much more epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually had the trilogy that my sister gave me and they've been sitting on my dresser for ages. I 'll gave to look up the audio book though, it sounds fascinating!

      Delete
  6. Ahh, I love this story so much. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.