Thursday, February 23, 2023

A Tale of Two Gilberts

These pictures are an apt representations of how these two actors portrayed the same character

Despite my play on Dickens famous quote from A Tale of Two Cities, this is not on opinion piece on which portrayal of Gilbert is better, because they were both excellent! I have oftentimes referred to Gilbert Blythe as the quintessential fictional boyfriend. What girl didn't read the books and find themselves falling in love with the handsome country boy with a heart of gold? And while Gilbert Blythe has been immortalized on screen for almost 100 years, two exceptional portrayals have brought the character absolute justice.

 

In the 1985 mini-series and subsequent sequels, Canadian actor, Jonathan Crombie made hearts melt when he played the charismatic schoolboy, who grew into a distinguished doctor and eventual WWI veteran.

 
30 + years later, American actor, Lucas Jade Zumann reprized the role in the 3 season series of Anne With An "E", and had a new generation of girls swooning over the much loved character. 

Jonathan Crombie

Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea/

The Road to Avonlea/ Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story

  • Jonathan is bookverse Gilbert completely.
  • He had the ability to be both annoying and charming at the same time.
  • Because Gilbert is told completely from Anne's POV, we don't really get to see other layers to his character.
  •  His appearance after the infamous cow chase has always been my favorite scene.
  •  Despite his love for Anne, Gilbert didn't always let her get away with everything. He wasn't afraid to state his honest opinion about her from time to time.
  • While many people may despise it, Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story added the much needed dimensions to Gilbert's character. So here are my thoughts on it.
  • He was seen as his own separate person and not just the guy who was in love with Anne Shirley.
  • His compassion toward others and his duty to his country really enhanced the Gilbert everyone has always loved. 
  • In the same way Gilbert pursued Anne for so many years, now it's Anne who must find Gilbert and bring him home.
  • His promise to help Anne search for Dominic totally magnified his character. This wasn't just someone else's child. It was the child that his wife loved and he in turn already loved too.

 Lucas Jade Zumann

Anne With An "E"

  • For all of its faults, Anne With an "E" got a few things right. One was the writing and casting of Lucas Jade Zumann as Gilbert Blythe.
  • Of all of the characters in the show, Gilbert's story is the one that changes the most. In many ways Gilbert is humanized and given faults and flaws that you didn't necessarily see in the book.
  • After he is orphaned (which of course didn't happen in the books), Gilbert is completely alone.
  • It's hinted at, but never really stated, that Gilbert was the youngest of at least four children and he was a late in life child. All of his siblings might live in Alberta, Canada.
  • You really get to explore Gilbert's road to becoming a doctor due to his travels and the people he meets.
  •  Gilbert struggles with his emotions and has difficulty handling grief. He will go into periods of depression to cope with loss.
  • In spite of his hardships and personal goals Gilbert always tries to put others first. He isn't always successful, but he learns from his mistakes.
  • Anne and Gilbert don't really have their bookeverse relationship; instead Gilbert becomes one of Anne's best friends very early on.
  • Gilbert defending Anne and taking out Billy Andrew for hassling her was probably the most satisfying part of the whole show.
  •  I know I'm half this kid's age, but he is so ridiculously attractive! In a span of four years he went to a cute teenager to an extremely handsome young man. If I had been a teenager when Anne With an E premiered, I would probably be in love with him too....

At the heart of Gilbert Blythe is his love for Anne Shirley and his tireless pursuit of her and her heart. From the moment he called her carrots and she responded by whacking her slate over his head; it was love from the very start. As time went on and they grew up, Gilbert's compassion, warmth and even mischievous nature was hard for Anne to ignore. Gilbert's whole character is his devotion to Anne which extends to his devotion in his work as a doctor. 

However you may want to view Gilbert Blythe on the screen, you can't deny that the character has staying power. As I wrote in my Anne With an "E" movie review:

There is nothing extraordinary about Gilbert though. He's not wealthy or brilliant. Just a simple farm boy who loves his little town and the little red headed orphan girl who knows how to put him in his place...

In whatever way you want to view Gilbert Blythe, he will always be that first literary character love that remains as timeless and as classic as the story itself. 


9 comments:

  1. I didn't see Anne with an E so I can't really have an opinion about Zumann's performance but as you showed here, I have to say, I don't like his Gilbert. Since Anne is an orphan, it makes no sense he's an orphan too. It's his wholesomeness and that he grew up with parents is what makes him a good match for Anne, I think. But I do prefer the original Gilbert anytime.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh... I just can't do it. There's only one Gilbert for me, and that's Jonathan Crombie. Anything else is... *whispers dramatically* sacrilege!! Sorry, LOL, I have extremely strong feelings on the subject. But perfect film adaptions and pathetic film destructions aside, I can't agree more on how perfect and wonderful a character Gilbert is. Book-Gilbert, that is, since I'm sure all Anne-fans can agree on that one. He's like the essence of everything a kindred spirit/true love should be. All I really want is for someone to love me the way Gilbert loves Anne. 🥰

    "There could never be anyone for me but you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a lot of great points here! Gilbert is awesome, but I have to agree with everyone and give Jonathan Crombie the biggest hat tip. He IS Gilbert in my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* You've reminded me of all the reasons I truly adore Jonathan's Gilbert. He really is a true delight. And YES, like you, I see the value in The Continuing Story. It was needed and I really liked it a lot. Possibly because I never read the end of the Anne series, but I just thought it was a nice closure that was much needed. And Jonathan was brilliant in that!

    I loved the first season of Anne with an E so yes, I do have to agree that Lucas was great. It's been a while since I've seen it and I probably won't rewatch it, but I did like him a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for everything you just said! The comments above seemed to completely miss the entire point of this post; which was not to determine which Gilbert was better. Only simply to give praise to both performances. Anne with an E had a good beginning, but once they started getting political, that's when the difficulty set in.

      Delete
  5. Interesting thoughts! Both of the Gilberts are amazing and I love them both. I've only seen The Continuing Story a couple times, but I always looked at it in a negative way. Might deserve a rewatch. The cow scene is one of my favs. When I was younger, I'd tell my grandma I liked watching "Anne in the muddy". ;)
    Of the three seasons in Anne with an E, the third was probably my favorite. For Me Gilbert was the only real likeable character. Their version of Anne could be annoying at times. The background for Gilbert becoming a doctor was well done tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Continuing Story wasn't perfect, but it wasn't terrible either. The cow scene will always be a gem!

      To be honest, I hated Anne throughout Anne With an "E". She was so over the top and loud. I got so annoyed with how she yelled all the time! The whole performance was overshot. Diana, Gilbert and Ruby were the only saving graces of the show. I agree with you too, season 3 was the best season.

      Delete
  6. "Annoying and charming at the same time" is so exactly Gilbert! :-D Though I haven't seen Anne with an E, it was interesting to see your comparisons of the two :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's annoying in a charming type of way : ) Thank you! The party was so much fun!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.