Monday, January 16, 2023

Newsies (Film & Stage)

Historical events and social change have always been excellent musical inspiration. Musicals such as Les Miserables, Hairspray, The Sound of Music and West Side Story were at the heart stories of the tide of social change. Les Miserables and The Sound of Music are about the moral decisions that govern every part of our lives (Jean Val Jean vs Javert // Captain Von Trapp vs the Nazi Party). Hairspray and West Side Story manage to take hard issues such as racism and prejudice by telling them through the eyes of young people who question the beliefs of previous generations. 

Newsies manages to tell all that and more. When the lively musical - starring an up and coming 18 year old Christian Bale as the lead hero, Jack Kelly - premiered in 1992, it didn't make a stir at first. However, over the years Newsies has become a much loved classic through its memorable songs and extraordinary choreography. 20 years after the film, Newsies was finally brought to the stage where it became an instant success.

Newsies
(1992 Film)

In the summer of 1899, New York City, the streets are covered with young newsboys (starting as young as 7) as they sell their only source of income. A newsboys life is one of constant struggle day and night, but there's freedom in the outside world and the skills they hone to survive. 

When Joseph Pulitzer, the head of the New York World, decides to raise the prices on newspapers, this can spell disaster for the already hardworking newsboys. The boys have to purchase all their papers beforehand and what they don't sell has to be paid back by what they earned (At least that's how I understand it! I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me!). By raising the prices of the papers, the newsboys have very little chance of success in an already competitive job. Either way, their money gets eaten up by the publishers.
 
Veteran newsboys such as idealistic Jack Kelly, who dreams of a life out West, smooth talking Ed "Racetrack" Higgins, the arrogant but feared Brooklyn leader, Spot Conlon and brothers, Davey and Les Jacobs, two rookie newsboys along with many other boys go on a two month long strike, by refusing to sell any papers.

Ironically enough, their story catches the attention of journalist, Bryan Denton who admires the newsboys for their courage as well as leading in to the exposure of the child labor abuse. With Bryan's help, the newsies get their much needed coverage. However, Pulitzer won't back down to a 'bunch of children' and he will strike down their strike in any way possible. What Pulitzer doesn't realize is that the power of the people (regardless of how old they are) will eventually be heard over the power of the press.


  •  The early 90s vibe is strong in this film!
  • Supposedly, Christian Bale hated this role and regretted ever being in Newsies. It's unfortunate. He was excellent.
  • Racetrack has always been my favorite newsie. And it was fitting that he would be the storyteller at the beginning given his love for New York.
  • It would have been great is they had brought some attention to the newsgirls, though. Annie Kelly was one of the most recognized newsgirl during the strike and it's a shame that she and other hard working young girls weren't recognized. 
  • Bryan Denton was great as a duel role of both an ally to the newsies and long needed father figure to the boys.
  • The understated romance of Jack and Sarah was well done. It just came softly and proved to be a much needed calm during the chaos of the strike.
  • Ann Margret as Medda! Amazing!
  • Louis "Kid Blink" Ballatt" had a small role in the musical, but in real life he was the leader of the strike and was the obvious inspiration for Jack. Jack's fake last name Kelly may have been in honor of newsgirl, Annie Kelly.
  • Racetrack Higgins is the only character in the musical that was based entirely on a real person. Higgins was the leader of the Brooklyn newsboys and was well known for his humor and charm.

Denton's original article

 Newsies
Stage Production
 
20 years after the film premiered, a stage production was created and was immediately well received. Several changes were made (primarily characters), but for the most part, the stage production stayed true to the original story. While the dancing was remarkable in the film, the stage production upped the ante with their choreography that made for some mind-blowing dance numbers! I actually enjoyed the stage production better, probably because they went more in depth with Jack's character as well as the artistry and production design. 
 

Last year, I saw the stage production for the first time. It was performed by a junior theater company, but it was a stage experience that even Broadway would have been proud of! Afterwards, I finally saw the filmed stage production on Disney + and certainly left me wondering why it's taking me 10 years to finally see it!

  • The set design of reusing the scaffolds was brilliant and really made the show in itself unique by using that technique.
  • Being a stage production, everything has to be larger, bolder and louder and every number brought that.
  • Jeremy Jordan's Jack Kelly was so wonderful! As much as I love Christian Bale, Jeremy won me over with his tough, but inwardly sweet nature. He wasn't afraid to show Jack as scared and vulnerable and sometimes even a dork.

This GIF sums up all the reasons why I love Jack!

  • I figured that Seize the Day was going to be great but those last few minutes was worth the 30 second crowd enthusiasm. 
  • Katherine Plummer was my girl! Initially I was disappointed that Bryan was being replaced because he was such an excellent father figure, but Katherine (in my mind) was a good replacement for both Bryan Denton and Sarah Jacobs. Katherine was smart without being a know it all, tough without being demanding, sweet without being sappy and could give her opinion without being demeaning or detrimental to her character.
  • West Side Story cast quite a few original Newsies in the film (Mike Faist being the original Morris Delancy and understudy for Jack) and I kept on hearing from Tumblr about Ben Cook who had played a relatively small role. I didn't understand the obsession about him and was getting annoyed about why people thought he was so great. Newsies explained everything. Ben Cook played Racetrack Higgins (a very difficult performance to top from the original film), but he was so exceptional in the role bringing so much humor and talent that I understand now why he is so loved by the theater world!
  • "The world is yer erster!" - Racetrack Higgins
  • I loved Jack and Katherine's fight on the scaffold. 
  • "Now would be a good time to shut up!" - Katherine Plummer to Jack Kelly
  • While Racetrack Higgins is my favorite Newsie from the film, I actually fell for Race's best friend, the snarky red headed Albert DeSilva (played by the gorgeous Sky Flaherty). 


And of course before I wrap up this wonderful post, I'll leave you with these historical photos and news articles about the real people and actions of such an underrated historical event!

Articles

 
 
 
 
This was too cute to pass up!





5 comments:

  1. Newsies was one of the first musicals I fell head over heels for. Not to say I didn't love some of the classics, but I discovered Newsies on my own so has a special place in my heart. I saw the 1990's version before I knew about the Broadway version. Then a few years later I bought the Broadway version cause I was dying to see it. Plus, my sisters had become interested as well. I think ever since we have watched it at least once a year. I do like Spot C. better in the movie. Jeremy Jordan is a fantastic Jack Kelly. He added dimension I think. Plus, Katherine is a much better love interest than Sarah.
    Love the historical photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has that one musical that will always be 'their musical,' regardless of how many favorites they have. Mine is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I actually haven't seen the 92' film in ages so I'm due for a rewatch. How did you manage to buy the Broadway version?? I can't buy it anywhere! However, I was disappointed at how downgraded Spot's role was in the stage production. Especially since he was such a fan favorite.
      Thank you! I had a great time researching this!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's a good one too. I've only seen it once tho and my sisters and I were laughing pretty hard.
      So, it is on Amazon prime. I think it was $4 to buy or maybe it was on sale. I do wish they sold DVD copies, but it has been super nice to be able to watch anytime.
      Yea,

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to both movie and play! I love both, but the Broadway version is defiantly my favorite. As you say, Jeremy's rendition of Jack is amazing and goodness, can he sing!!
    I loved the pictures and articles you added too! Especially that last one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was worth the 5 hours it took to write. I was so excited when I came across those real articles and that last article about the newsgirl was definitely my favorite.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.