Saturday, December 17, 2022

Currently: Fall 2022

Happy Fall! 

As you can tell by my serious lack of posts, life has been crazy for me. However, I've had very little time for posting all year. A fact I feel awful about because I have so many great ideas! I was nervous about Fall 2022 because if you remember last year's post, I was not in a good place at all. This fall has been very...unexpected...in more good ways then bad though.


To start off I have finally left my job. Not transferred but have completely left the YMCA. I personally chose not to reveal my employment, but now that I'm gone, there's no need to conceal it. It was a longtime coming, but it was time to go. The unfortunate thing is that life at the Y was getting much better. My problematic boss finally left and we had gotten a new director that really had good plans. So, at the beginning of Fall everything was looking great. Then one mistake changes everything and I mean everything.

November: After a very stressful day, I sent a text message to a co-worker which some could perceive as inappropriate, but it was a private text message. The next week I'm called into the office and told that this message had reached Human Resources and that was a possibility I could be fired. Needless to say I was in complete anxiety. I was completely betrayed and this was clearly an act of someone who wanted me gone. The next night I started to look for other jobs. The best decision I ever made. Within 48 hours I received a call for an interview.

As far as Human Resources went, I was never told who turned me in, I was written up and told that one more mistake of any kind than I would be fired. I was also told that I would have to be put into 'Diversity Training.' I didn't mind that so much, but then I was told I would have to drive out to Corporate offices for that even though I was told beforehand that I wouldn't have to. Needless to say I was mess and my sanity was pinned on this one job interview.

The next day after this meeting with Human Resources, I went into my job interview. I left with a sense of calm and hopefulness. Not an hour later they called back and offered me the job! That calm and hopefulness I felt was magnified to such an extreme...I really can't explain it. They gave me two weeks to get things a the Y in order. I wanted to leave on a good note and so I turned in my two weeks, but made it clear that I wouldn't go to diversity training. Human Resources put up a fight with me and insisted that I go and if I didn't attend than I would be let go on the spot. At that point I didn't care, however my boss convinced me that it would be a good idea, so it wouldn't be a mark on my record and that she was willing to drive me.

Well, I decided to go. It ended up being the most useless 60 minutes I had ever endured. My private life was looked into and for some reason I was villainized all for a text message that I sent in frustration. Then to add insult to injury, they told me that even though I attended the training there was a good chance that I still could have been fired, but seeing that I was already leaving it wasn't necessary. Never had a I been more relieved either. When I told my family about the whole training, lets just say certain family members weren't too thrilled about the outcome:

The religious fanaticism of this text always kills me! 
No wonder I've almost walked away from the Church at this point!

  
If I seem to remember I got another job....without your help
Oh, don't you love the 'autistic broken record' crack??
 
Anyways, after several hours of back and forth, I decided that day would be my last day. It was nice though. I was able to say goodbye to all the people that had made my time there a good experience. Then the next day I drove to Williamsburg to relax for my birthday and not spend it with the toxicity at home. Last year my birthday was a complete disaster, all because I stated my opinion on something; and for a year I blamed myself for it. Eventually, through therapy, I realized that it was never my fault. I wasn't going to go through the same thing this year either. If someone wants to be miserable about my life choices, it's not going to be. 
 
Well, needless to say that has been the absolute whole of November. My job of 4 years that I gave absolutely loyalty and devotion to stabbed me in the back. That being said, there's many great pros about this new job. It's closer to home, it's not full time, but I'm working 12-7 five days a week. I'm not complaining.

It would be a marvel to say that my job problem was the only concern this Fall...yet it seemed than anything and everything hit me all at once.

  • First my health has been horrible. I've been sick at least three times in the last several months and the stress of everything has made it worse.
  • I lost my social security card the beginning on November and the wait for it to come has been a nightmare. I registered for a new card on Nov. 2nd. It should have been here in 2 weeks, but a month went by and still nothing. I finally went back into the office last week to register for a new one and it came last night! This social security card debacle has been a primary contributor to my stress.
  • Around the same time of my issues at work, my sickness and the social security card, the private company that gets me my medications for free told me that I'm no longer eligible. I immediately talked to my doctor now she calls in my prescription for me monthly. 
  • With this new job and new hours came the concern if I was going to be able to continue with my therapy. That all worked out perfectly!

Obviously, this fall has been better than last year and of the two I would probably choose this year. I have therapy to thank for my survival though. Were it not for my therapist, I don't think I would have made it through. Sadly I've had very little time for books or movies or any posting. Hopefully with the new hours next year, there can be some definite and positive changes. 

Christmas is around the corner, I have four days to work at my new job and then finally a much needed Christmas vacation at the Outer Banks!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog! I cannot understand the anger in that first text message...why do they believe you have "screwed us over" simply because you attended a diversity training, against your will? Sounds like a good amount of stress to endure in a short period of time, but that was wise to apply for the new job so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't entirely wrapped my mind around either text messages. Whatever decision I made in my work had absolutely no effect on my family at all. They weren't a part of any of this. And yes, the strain was overwhelming, but applying for the new job was the best decision I could have made.

      Thanks for dropping by my site!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.