Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

 

20 years. 20 years ago I sat down and watched this little film and just fell in love with Harry Potter (literally) and the whole Wizarding World. Harry Potter was a wonderful part of my childhood. I'm the same age as the Harry Potter actors and so it was great growing up with them as the films were made. And seeing that today is September 1st, officially known as Back to Hogwarts Day, I thought this would be the perfect start to reviewing the Harry Potter films.


When a baby is left on the doorstep of Petunia and Vernon Dursley, little does he know of the role he has played in vanquishing the darkest wizard of the age and how this is only the beginning of his adventure laden journey. 11 years later, Harry Potter has lived under the domineering and borderline abusive control of his aunt and uncle and their spoiled son. Harry has always been different, but his differences start to become more apparent. He knows very little about his parents and who they are and wonders if he'll ever be of any importance to anyone.

Soon strange letters start arriving and with these letters, Harry is brought into the extraordinary Wizarding World and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry Potter who once thought that he was an unremarkable boy with no future turns out to be the most famous boy in the Wizarding World, the Boy Who Lived. Yet, even the most famous wizard must deal with the in and outs, ups and downs of regular boarding school life, including terrible teachers, rich bullies and end of the year exams. As Harry begins to live and learn in this wonderful school and discover who he is, a deadly enemy is lurking in the shadows and ready to finish what he started 11 years before. 


  • The memories are real with this movie.
  • Growing up I wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter, but after my parents got the movie, they quickly changed their minds.
  • I must have watched this movie three times before I realized how cute Daniel Radcliffe was (more on that in the later films).
  • I remember playing the game on the DVD to get the special features!
  • Oliver Wood! SWOON!!! Every girl was in love with that Scottish hottie : )
  • I'm always still amazed at how beautiful this film is. The scenery, the music, the costumes, the sets and all the little details, from the floating candles to the moving pictures. You really felt that you were at Hogwarts.
  • Fluffy...that damn crazy ass dog.
  • I love that McGonagall's Animagus cat resembles one of my own cats.
  • Even after 20 years, this movie is still an absolute delight. 

This was such a solid beginning for the Harry Potter series! Everything just fit together like it was taken straight out of the book. No one would have thought that such a sweet little story would end up  having such a dark future as the books progressed. However, when you read the books, they are a bit like growing up. The first book explores discovery, the protection of innocence and wonder. Yet, any 11 year old knows the pure delight of finding yourself on the edge of something mysterious and even dangerous. As the kids get older and the books (and movies) get darker, you mature with the circumstances. At least that's how I've always been able to explain it. However you may want to view Harry Potter and his adventures, I myself will never forget my introduction to the Wizarding World and my first trip to Hogwarts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.