Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Currently: Summer 2021


Every Summer Sun,

Every Winter Evening,

Every Spring to Come,

Every Autumn Leaving,

You don't need a reason,

Let the day go on and on.

- Wild Child by Enya



Summer is over! I can't believe we're heading into fall! For the most part my summer has been very good. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do all that I wanted to do such as Busch Gardens and the beach, but I still manged to enjoy myself. The best part of the summer though is that I finally got off the opening shift at work. Let me tell you, I am so much happier with my life now that I've gotten some proper working hours! It's been amazing! I wake up at a decent time and go home at a decent time. It's been incredible, but I definitely had to work for it. 

Actually work in general has been going very well. When we reopened last year after COVID and people were leaving every week, and tensions and nerves were high, and we were under such intense restrictions and regulations, more than once I was tempted to quit, but I stayed because it was still a good job with good hours and I hoped that if I just managed to keep my head down and do my work, I would be grateful that I did. Well, exactly a year later, I'm very grateful that I stayed instead of quitting. I had thought about getting other employment, but something about my current work kept me grounded. In a way I needed to be there. 

Oh! And I've started a Book Club at work too!!

The loneliness issue at work has continued to be an issue at times. I finally went to my boss' office and broke down and cried. I told her that I felt like I wasn't accepted by my co-workers, that I frequently felt alone and cut off. She was so warm and generous about the whole issue. It's really rather stupid seeing as my co-workers are so much younger than me and for a while I accepted that. Yet, other situations came about and I figured that it wasn't an age thing, it was clearly a me thing. My boss thought otherwise and she has been very supportive and that's helped a great deal. It was relieving to be able to talk to someone about my personal problems and not have them blame me or tell me that I was just feeling sorry for myself, which is usually the case and why I don't talk to people at all. So things are getting better. 


So, while I still have a hard time with relationships and friendships, a trip to the Wizarding World helped me to come back to my senses. Harry Potter resonates so well with people because their stories deal with people who are oftentimes on the outside looking in, never really belonging, those who have never been linked with the word popular...and none of them really caring about it at all. 

So, my sister and I were watching the Fantastic Beasts films and seeing Newt Scamander in his awkward, quirky nature and revealing to people that he's never fit in nor does he care to was in many ways a wake up call for me. There is nothing wrong with me. I'm doing the best that I can in life and I'm doing my work and that's all that should matter.

So, thanks Newt for the reminder : )

Watching


Ok, I am still obsessed with The Chosen! This show is so addictive! I think I've rewatched several episodes maybe three times...the characters, the storylines, the music and scenery, everything is just 100% amazing! Plus the veritable array of memes that have been produced have been as exceptional as the show. 















The impact this show has had on the youth of America has been extraordinary. It's good for kids and teens to see their Bible heroes as average, flawed, broken people all seeking redemption and forgiveness. While still telling the Gospel stories of Christ and his ministry, The Chosen has also incorporated humor and even romance to keep the stories and the characters interesting. I won't be surprised if there is a marriage or at least an engagement in season 3!


I'm a huge fan of The Food Network and we always have it on TV at work. Watching Hell's Kitchen while I work out and getting into the intense competition was incredibly motivating and that's what has really fueled my love for cooking and baking competitions. I'm also a fan of Cake Boss and even went to Carlos Bakery in New Jersey last year (the cannoli's were to die for!) So, when I found out that Buddy Valestro was doing a baking competition with Duff Goldman from Ace of Cakes (which I haven't seen, but I'm going to start watching because Duff and his crew are freaking amazing), I figured I would enjoy it. Season 1 was great and I'm almost halfway through Season 2. Watching these two guys and their teams go at it with each other has been so entertaining and their cakes???? Mind blown! Because I'm a Cake Boss fan, naturally I'm Team Buddy, but there are times when my votes start to swing to Duff's side...


I remember this show was really popular back in the day and after watching the intensity of Gotham for the last several months, I needed something a little lighter. I'm only a few episodes in, but so far it's a rather endearing show. Simon is incredibly annoying, but I really like Lucy seeing as she's the middle of the family as well as the middle girl. There's 11 seasons so I have plenty of watching material for a while.

Reading

I actually own this book set!
I'm happy to report that I finally finished The Lord of The Rings! I really did enjoy the books and The Two Towers ended up being my favorite book, however they were all excellent. I enjoy the characters more in the books than the films. As compared to the books, the film characters were rather one dimensional and now I think Peter Jackson should have spent more time working on his characters and their development from the books instead of working on CGI.












I'm doing another online Instagram reading of the classic The Once and Future King. Laura Odom is hosting a month long read along. I've had Once and Future on my bookshelf for ages and I figured that an Instagram read along was the best time to finally clear some shelf space. I'm halfway through part 1 and much it is just endless description or just not making any sense at all. Yet, I've come across excellent chapters as well. I really love the chapters with Kay. He can be an idiot, but it's clear that he loves Arthur a great deal. Kind of a tearaway from the noble Kay that I love from Camelot, but also a different telling as well. 











Seeing as this was about the life of the Apostle Paul I was intrigued. However, a few chapters in I became a little concerned about the representation of Paul. Basically the author is insinuating that Paul was possibly a closeted homosexual due to the way he was so opposed to sexual sin and that was his secret 'thorn in his side.' To be honest I was rather disappointed and almost tossed the book aside, but after reading some reviews on Goodreads, I've decided to read it all the way through and give a final opinion.












As I said up on top, I've started a book club at my work and this is my book of choice for September. While doing some research on the novel I had read that book caused controversy in Germany and that was all the more reason I wanted to get it. We live in a society right now that wants to censor our words and actions. That was what Hitler did to gain control of Germany and then he proceeded to destroy any written works that disagreed with his ideology. So I figured that maybe we could learn a little bit from history at the moment.










Listening


My philosophy is that if Matt Maher is singing it, I'm going to be listening. This song is so much fun and incredibly uplifting as well!

Coming Up


Rachel's A Tolkien Blog Party is coming up in less than two weeks which is why I was so excited to get The Lord of The Rings finished. Last year I wrote reviews for the movies, but this year I'm going to do a compare/contrast post of Legolas and Thranduil. Both characters are so fascinating and yet so very polar opposite in their attitudes toward the world.


And there's my Summer Current wrap up. It's been an easy going few months and with my new work schedule I am so much more happy and relieved at work. And if I'm happy at work, I'm happy at home and anywhere else for that matter. Oh and the weather here! As soon as September 1st hit the weather immediately dropped. The humidity is down and the cool air is so relieving. I hope everybody is having a good end of summer and start of fall! 🍁🍂🍃



6 comments:

  1. I need to reread Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion for the blog event, we'll see if that happens.
    I've seen so much about The Chosen, I need to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year I'm going to read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The Children of Hurin, along with other book series that I've been needing to read.

      You kind of have to take the show with a grain of salt. While The Chosen has been very successful, it's not going to make everyone happy and somebody is always going to find fault with it. It's a television show, first and foremost and it's suppose to entertain not to be a docu-series.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad things have been improving at least somewhat in your work situation. Hurray for normal working hours!!

    Okay, good, sounds like I'm not alone in my thoughts on The Once and Future King so far. xD There have been parts that I've loved, but overall it's been "meh" for me. I have realized that I dislike episodic story structure, though, so that's probably a large part of why.

    Ooh, your Thranduil/Legolas comparison post sounds amazing. I'm eager to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The normal hours have been amazing! I'm so much happier now : )

      The Sword in The Stone, to be honest, has been very boring and disappointing because I don't feel like we're getting anywhere. You spend one whole chapter about Ector complaining about the king or about Arthur being an ant, which serves no purpose whatsoever. Hopefully by the time the sword is pulled out of the stone, the story might finally pick up.

      Thank you! I'm so excited for the blog party!

      Delete
  3. The Book Thief is so good! I wish I could write like him.
    Glad things are going good at your job, and that you opened up to your boss. That was super brave and I'm glad she was supportive and didn't brush it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is so raw and real and that you feel that you yourself are death chronicling lives of these people only adds to the mystery.
      Thank you! Things have gotten so much better since I talked with her.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.