Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Patriot


Oddly enough the Revolutionary War has never been a popular war that has been interpreted into mainstream media culture, as compared to the Civil War or WWII. And yet, it's the most important war that has ever been fought in America's history. Its victory set the foundation of every free Western  civilization since then. As a Virginian (but not a southerner, there's a difference) I live 90 min. away from Colonial Williamsburg, which is one of the primary cities of America's Independence. Inspired by numerous different war heroes, The Patriot takes the confusing aspects of the Revolutionary War and condenses them into the passionate journey of a man who must confront the sins of his past to preserve the freedom of his future. 


I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me,
 and the cost is more than I can bear.
~ Benjamin Martin

Benjamin Martin is a legendary war hero from The French and Indian War. However, he silently suffers from the horrific crimes he committed towards the French and afterwards swore never to raise arms again. Now, a well to do farmer in South Carolina, Benjamin has his hands full raising his seven lively children, Gabriel, Thomas, Nathan, Margaret (Meg), Samuel, William and Susan on his own after his beloved wife died. If he's not dealing with his oldest, seventeen year old, idealistic Gabriel who is determined to sign up for the militia, then it's longing to hear his youngest child Susan finally speak, but she has been incapable of doing so since her mother's death. 

All throughout the colonies, talk of war against England is taking grip upon the men and women who long to be freed from King George's rule. Due to his involvement in the French and Indian conflict, Benjamin is not convinced that war is the absolute answer to gaining freedom and is outspoken about his opposition. However, war is declared and Benjamin is hopeless at preventing Gabriel from enlisting in the militia. 

As the war rages on and the British invaders becoming more aggressive as they are led by the ruthless, Colonel William Tavington, Benjamin's once pacifist beliefs begin to dissipates as his home is destroyed and his family torn apart. When he is finally pushed to the breaking point, Benjamin realizes that in order to regain peace, he must be willing to step onto the battlefield and fight for it. No matter the cost and the blood that will be shed to live in a country free from tyranny. 


Thomas was my brother, as well as your son.
 You may not believe this, but I want satisfaction as much as you do,
but not at the expense of our cause. 
There will be a time for revenge.
But until then, stay the course.

~ Gabriel Martin

Mel Gibson stepped onto the world stage as an Australian, but he's a natural born American. Even though his family has generational ties to Australia, he was born in New York and moved to Australia when he was twelve. The Patriot was Gibson's first American war film and to be honest, his best film. In many ways, it was more personal because one of the stories of his family's move to Australia was to prevent his older brothers from being drafted into The Vietnam War (although it's never been confirmed). However, that possible legend certainly plays into Benjamin's pacifist mindset and his refusal to allow his own son from joining the army. 

I remember the controversy that surrounded The Patriot when it came out (what kind of Gibson film would it be if it wasn't seeped in controversy?), due to its intense and bloody battle scenes. Yet, war can never be sanitized and history rewritten to appease those who may not agree with it. Despite the gritty, gruesomeness of war, there's a beautiful warmth of the Martin's the family life; especially the father/son bond between Benjamin and Gabriel that grows stronger as they fight together. Benjamin's desire to reunite his family, even if it means leaving them for the battlefield is the whole heart of this film. It's a constant reminder of why America went to war in the first place. To create a better country and better world for those who follow after us. 

4 comments:

  1. I think I love this movie. Not 100% sure, cuz I've only seen it all the way through once, but...yeah. (When I saw it last year or so, I thought it was better as a film than as a story, if that makes any sense at all? Like, I couldn't decide if it had a satisfying conclusion of any sort...if there was enough payoff to justify the tragedy. But the cinematography was stellar.)

    Also, I agree: WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE REVOLUTIONARY WAR MOVIES. I am mad. *huffs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would be believe that winning the war would be payoff enough for the tragedy that the colonies endured, but I think that's the point that Mel Gibson was trying to make. Freedom requires sacrifice and like Gabriel's quote in the review, that the death of Thomas was the sacrifice to be made for a free country. And in spite of how angry both Benjamin and Gabriel were, the war and its purpose couldn't be set aside for revenge. That's how powerful their belief in a free America was. Setting aside your own self for something stronger and worthier.

      Delete
  2. I need to watch this but I'm probably going to have to skip some stuff, the violence + Mel Gipson is why I wasn't planning until now to try it.

    It is strange how the Revolutionary War isn't as big in pop culture sort of stuff. Maybe because it's got less sensitive subjects and thus too "tame" (I don't think so, just trying to think like Hollywood) which to me makes it easier to handle pr too easy to Hollywood maybe? I grew up with the Felicity American girl books and the Annie Henry books, so I feel like it was a little more familiar to me than the Civil War. Also in my own personal study of American history, I've done more of earlier. I need to finish working my way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violence is somewhat subjective depending on what you're able to handle. Compare The Patriot to Braveheart, which I think is infinitely more bloody and violent. Regarding Mel Gibson, I grew up watching his films (Maverick being my favorite) and in spite of his personal life, you can't deny that the guy is a brilliant filmmaker.

      I know that the Revolutionary War has gotten a little more coverage due to the Turn series and maybe even Hamilton. And maybe the reason it isn't so popular is because it was so long ago. It's not as recent as WWII or even the Civil War.

      I grew up with the American Girl books too! Molly was the one that got me interested in WWII and Kit helped me discover my love of writing.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.