Thursday, November 12, 2020

To Be Alone--My Struggle with Loneliness


In January of 2019 I wrote this post The Popular Girl (Not) and to my surprise, I found it to be very relieving. After almost 10 years online and I'm just now allowing myself to express who I am, my thoughts, feelings, heartaches and past issues in my writing. So often, I used writing to mask what I was really feeling; almost a form of therapy to vent my emotions. Writing that post last year was the beginning of well...for lack of a better term...revealing myself to the world. A vulnerable and terrifying thing to do, but I feel so much stronger when I take that uncertain step and let my words take over. Since then I've written about abortion, menstrual cycles, political and religious beliefs, my own childhood struggles, personal family stories and feminism, with certainly more to come.


One issue has been the loneliness I have found myself living in my whole life. As I had expressed in The Popular Girl (Not) post, I was homeschooled with very little socialization and what I did get tended to be negative. I'm turning 30 in a few weeks and I still find myself in a state of loneliness and lack of companionship. As I've recently written, as the middle of my family I was always alone and living in my head. I created stories that I enjoyed acting out. However, this led to a very damaging habit of frequently talking to myself. 

For as long as I can remember, I always talked to myself. Some people think it's nothing to worry about, but for me it was, once again, another lifelong struggle. I would often make up stories from my favorite movies or books and act out all of the characters. So I probably did sound like I was insane. However, I stand by the fact that my life of being alone and never having anyone to talk to contributed to this habit. In the last week, I've actually gotten control of it, but it has been terrible habit that I've always found hard to break. Suddenly I've just found the stamina to stop. And I'm relived that almost 30 years of this damaging habit may be coming to an end. I do slip up from time to time, but I always catch myself. 


Talking to myself was another habit of mine, where my family was of very little help. My mother yelled at me, told me that I sounded like a lunatic. She accused me (and still does) of frequently living in a 'fantasy world.' A world that she has never bothered to ask why I escape to or what do I really think about or feel. As a child I may lived in my own little world as a coping mechanism for my constant loneliness. I may have created things that my family found laughable and stupid. When I got older, that changed.

It might surprise people to find out that this 'fantasy world' of mine is made up of stories that I create that help me cope with all that frightens me. When the real world begins to become too big for me, I make sense of it in my mind. Issues such as rape, abuse, fear, disabilities, death, war, pain, humiliation, suffering. I think on these frequently. I create stories from them and try to make sense of the bigger world that way. I wouldn't have any need of this fantasy world, if I actually had someone I could go to. Someone who would listen to me and not demean me for what I say. Which frequently happens. 

This fantasy world is not made up of sunshine and rainbows. It's made from reality. Maybe I might create a world about a princess or a magician. Someone who has lost her father and fights likes hell to get him back. Because the worst thing that could possibly happen to me is lose my own dad. Isn't that what the great British authors like Tolkien and Lewis and Rowling did? Take their fears and loneliness and create their own worlds and cultures from them? Weren't their stories fantastical allegories of their own personal lives?


Another contributing factor to both of these is that autism runs in my family. And while it may have something to do with the lifelong habits of mine, I'm not always going to use the disability excuse. I know I may have autistic tendencies, but I don't really think that it's 100% the problem either. I'm not going to use autism as the final answer for my personal struggles. It's the same for my social anxiety as well. Sometimes I'm terrified to be around people and other times I'm completely comfortable. It's never really black and white with my situation.

I enjoy the job that I'm at and I think I can be very beneficial there. I like my co-workers, but unfortunately that's all they are to me. Just co-workers. In over two years at my job, I've never actually developed any close friendships. I was usually sectioned off in one area where I was primarily by myself while everyone else were all working together, therefore creating their own little group. Not my fault or theirs, it's just the way our work turned out.

However, now everyone is primarily working in the same area and I'm just as cut off as before. At 29, I'm (age wise) considered the most senior member on staff. Everyone else is either a teen (17 and over) or a young adult. The next oldest after me is 27. And yet, everyone has bonded together in their own little work clique where it is made glaringly obvious that I'm not welcomed. Nobody has ever been outwardly rude to me. However, I learned long ago it's what people don't say that is the most damaging. 


I remind myself that they're young and they don't want to be bothered with someone older. There's probably some truth to that. However, when you constantly hear them talk about going out to eat or buying each other food at work or getting their nails done or spending time together after work or interacting on social media while you yourself are completely left out, well that can be hurtful to anyone. If I had other friends of my own, this certainly wouldn't be a problem, but the truth is I don't. 

Really, it's not even the friendship aspect that bothers me. It's the constant personal exclusion I have to face everyday when they stand around and talk and laugh and have fun and I myself, alone and holding back tears desperately wondering (like I have my whole life) what is wrong with me? What am I doing wrong, saying wrong? Am I really just to old to interact with them? Is this really a big deal? When it's your co-workers, people you have to get along with, then yes it is a big deal. You should want to spend time with the people you work with and get to know them. 

I'm reading a book right now about 12 girls who grew up together and have remained friends for 40 years. They have experiences that I could only dream of. It's hard reading stories such as theirs when I'm constantly reminded of how truly alone and cut off from people I am. It's strange that for someone who hates being around people, I also have this great desire to be accepted and wanted. It could also be the other way around. Maybe it's the lack of acceptance from others that has made me despise people so much. 


Years and years of trying to reach out to people only to get hurt or lied to or abandoned may have made me somewhat cynical and at times even hostile. I don't trust people, but I'm not outwardly mean or cruel to them. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. When you spend your life in constant loneliness, you tend to want to make sure no one feels the same way. I always make sure to include everyone in conversations or not to get so wrapped up in a discussion that I'm ignoring someone else who is by themselves. People may not have reached out to me, but I never want anyone to feel the way I do. So, I reach out and let people know that they are accepted and they don't have to feel unwanted. 

EDIT

Due to internet outage, I had to stop my writing last night

Today I talked to one of my co-workers, asked her if there were people who may have issues with me and if I was doing something wrong. She said that people have complained that I don't smile enough, which kind of surprised me because I have to wear a mask all the time. Then she told me that at times I do come off as unfriendly. It wasn't easy to ask or to listen to the grievances people had against me, but I'm glad I did. She also went on to say that the primary age group among the workers is 17-21. She herself is 23. So these younger co-workers are much more inclined to want to spend time with people their own age. That's understandable. 


I guess it all comes down to the fact that they just may not be interested in spending time with someone they could consider 'much older' than them. The co-worker I talked to is younger than me and closer to their age, so she would clearly be a better fit for them. Well, at least I know the truth, what people think about me and what I'm able to do. Like I said, I try to be be as genuinely kind and as friendly as possible and all I can do is try. 

Loneliness can be a mental issue. Over the years I have tried to break out of my shell, find employment that gets me around people and learn how to have a proper conversation without my mind going blank. Yet, the loneliness is still there. The fear and the self-doubt that have always plagued me are there in the back of my mind. I can't make people like me. I can't force my younger co-workers to accept me. I'm not the easiest person in the world to get along with, but I do try and make the world better for people. I try to accept others, invite them into conversations, offer to help them, ask them about their lives and that's all I can do. The reciprocation of my actions are left to the other person.

I would enjoy having friendships outside my family, but we can't always have what we want. We take what the world has given us and we make it work. My personal life has been a lonely one; void of emotional contact with people. Yet, even within that lonely state, I have learned to seek out the loss and loneliness in others. To not treat others as I have been treated. And if I find a connection with someone, a smile, a laugh, a brief getting to know one another, just talking about our likes and dislikes for five minutes, knowing I started that and wondering where it might lead to. My loneliness has been a burden, but for all that, it has also gifted me with the insight to desire to understand people. To let others know that for one small space of time, they were not alone. 



8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you've had to live with loneliness for so long. I've had times like this, but have found a few solid friends to carry me through, though sometimes it didn't always work out. From what I know of you, you seem incredibly sweet, intelligent, and friendly. It's usually the nicest and friendliest people who are the loneliest ironically. It is hard to make connections though, especially ones that extend past acquaintance. I wish your co workers were a little more accepting, because their the ones missing out and especially when you're in your twenties it's not weird to have friends in different age groups. I know internet friends aren't the same as physical ones, but I consider you one if that helps.
    I hope you find someone who can be there for you. No one should have to be lonely.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate that and while internet friends aren't the same as physical friendships, they can be beneficial. It's never bothered me having friends younger than me. Like I said, I can't make them accept me nor do I want them to feel like they have to acknowledge me either. It is what it is. I can only do what I can do.

      I consider you a friend too : ) So thanks so much for all you've said.

      Delete
  2. I struggled/struggle to make friends even when most people we knew were homeschooled, and I minded then greatly, it was why I started my blog, I was furious with people, thankfully, I deleted those posts very quickly.

    I've been reading blogs for years (blogs helped me SO much, learn, grown, further hobbies), but it took me until very recently to be able to comment much, I didn't really have lots of responses (now I'm afraid I comment too long and too much), I just didn't have anything to say. I've talked a lot all my life but I'm not verbal, that doesn't make sense, but I told my mom I only emoted, didn't think until my mid to late twenties. I wasn't really exaggerating either.

    Right now I've swung to the opposite, well maybe not the opposite I was never friendly, just didn't like to be left out, I'm overwhelmed with people and don't really want more in my life. I wouldn't say I'm friendless, but a lot of it is family and family friends, maybe when I'm less overwhelmed and all this covid dies down, I could go out to places to find more like-minded people. Have you thought about that? Finding different activities to try? Like bookclubs or library events?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making friends has always been a primary struggle of mine. And being homeschooled did contribute to that. A blog is made to allow yourself to be free to write whatever you want. It's only in the last year or so I've finally be able to write some serious personal life issues. And I'm glad I did too.

      Reading blogs are so much fun! I also like going through archives and seeing how far people have come in their blogging. I know that commenting can be scary, because I'm worried that no one will ever reply back or I said something offensive. I love getting long comments! I want to hear people's opinions and you can't always express thoughts and ideas in one sentence.

      On my blog, people are free to say whatever they like. I've gotten some nasty people on here who don't like my opinions, but I'm not going to delete their comments either. People need to see and read difference of opinions. Now I may not always reply to negative comments, because sometimes that just makes situations worse.

      Ever since I talked to my co-worker about what I've been feeling, it's gotten a lot better. I talked to another one and she was very surprised that I felt that way. Instead of just bottling up my emotions, I need to learn to talk to people. People are actually a lot nicer than I give them credit for. I would love to find a book club of sorts, but living all the way out in the country makes tat difficult. I did volunteer at a bookstore for a while and I loved it, but unfortunately, work got in the way. Actually the only good and positive socialization I can get is my church. It's slowly bringing back weekly studies and fellowship, so I'm trying to get more active in my church.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry that you've struggled with loneliness. It's definitely hard to open up to people, but it sounds like you've done better than I have. It's so hard when people aren't accepting. I've never understood why people don't like hanging out with people who are significantly older or younger than them.
    I've struggled a lot with loneliness, too. I have two friends that I'm very close to, but I've always had trouble making friends. Blogging has really helped me. I feel like I've gotten to know so many amazing people.
    "What am I doing wrong?" is a question that I've asked myself a lot, when I'm struggling to talk to people. I think I've always come off as a little "much". I've always felt things very strongly, and I know lots of people think I'm weird.
    Thank you so much for writing this post. As sad as I am that people haven't been accepting towards you, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it does get hard when I feel that I must be the problem in every issue. You're young and so you still have plenty of time to advance and grow. When I was in college, I actually had some good friends, but they were seasonal. They graduated the winter before me and I stayed on for another semester. By the time I graduated, I was by myself and my graduation was very hard to get through because I had no friends to celebrate with. I've accepted the fact that people are going to be seasonal in my life. They come and then they go. It's just that way with some people.

      I'm glad that blogging has helped you! In almost a decade of blogging (well almost 10 years on Blogger), I've met some amazing people! And of course, they move on, graduate, get married, start their own lives. Some have just moved their blogging to Instagram (which I think defeats the purpose of blogging to begin with).

      I think I tend to come off as intense to people too. My family are always complaining that I just seem so angry all the time. And I told them it's because I tend to bottle up all my feelings and emotions and sometimes I just need to vent. It's actually easier to vent my emotions at work then at home.

      You're welcome! I'm always relieved when people can find some relatability in my posts and everyday life.

      Delete
  4. The age thing with colleagues can be so difficult - most people at my work are much older, like their fifties and sixties, and it's easy to feel left out because they're all at such a different place in their lives so their conversations are often about things they don't see me as being able to contribute to. But then I can remember being eighteen too and assuming that people in their late twenties were proper grown-ups and would automatically have nothing in common with me, and I look back and can't quite get my head around thinking twenty-five plus was so mature and sophisticated... Having a close family is such a lovely thing though, and I wouldn't swap that for any amount of friends, although I sometimes think that it's spoiled me, because I'd probably have made more effort over the years to make friendships if I hadn't always had my sisters and my cousins as a safety blanket. Sorry for the long comment, but just wanted to say this is such a brave post, and I know you'll find your people soon - it only takes one person to click with to make you feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I come from a big family a lot of people assume that we're all friends and super close with one another. Unfortunately, that hasn't always been the case with me. It's only in the last several years where I've actually been able to establish actual relationships with my younger sisters. My older sister and I have always been close, but sometimes I need someone outside of my family that I know I can trust and have complete confidence in. No one in my family can keep a secret and more often than not my siblings tend to turn on one another just to get out of trouble.

      Don't worry about the long comment. I love them!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.