Monday, September 2, 2019

It's So Classic Tag


Olivia at Meanwhile In Rivendell tagged me for this classics blog tag. Thanks Olivia!

My knowledge and history with classic literature is somewhat lacking, though. I've tried to get into reading classics and more often than not, I just give up. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't have favorites!

Rules:

1. Link your post to Rebellious Writing (www.rebelliouswriting.com)
2. Answer the questions
3. Tag at least 5 bloggers.



The Questions:

1. What is one classic that hasn’t been made into a movie yet, but really needs to? 

     -Ishmael by E.D.E.N. Southworth. While it may not be immensely popular, it is a great story that I would definitely consider a classic. Caddie Woodlawn would be another one. There was a made for tv movie that came out in the late 80s and it was good, but I don't think that had ever been a feature length film made.

2. What draws you to classics? 
   
     - The history usually. It's hard to pinpoint what makes a classic a classic. Whether it's the popularity or the general message of the story, but most classics deal with history.

3. What is an underrated classic? 

     - I would probably have to say Ishmael again, but also the narrative of Mary Rowlandson's kidnap and survival in The Sovereignty and Goodness of God: Being a Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson. This is an excellent, but very heartbreaking story.

4. What is one classic that you didn’t expect to love, but ended up loving anyway? 

     - The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Hester Pryne was such a heroine in her own right. 

5. What are your most favorite and least favorite classics? 

     - Caddie Woodlawn would be my all time favorite! I think I've read the book...three times. I also love The Wizard of Oz series as well. My least favorite is Frankenstein. I listened to it on audiobook and while it had its good moments, it just dragged. 


6. What is your favorite character from a classic? Or if that is too hard, what is your favorite classic character trope (e.g. strong and silent, quiet sidekick, etc.)?

     - Athos from The Three Musketeers. He was my favorite when I watched the Disney film and was certainly my favorite when I read the book years later. He was flawed inside and out, but he was dutiful to his king and loyal to his friends.  

7. What’s a popular classic that you felt wasn’t actually that great?

     - Probably Frankenstein again. The story had a lot of potential but the constant description of everything got very, very wearing. 

8. Who is your favorite classic author? 

     - C.S. Lewis. I haven't read a great deal of classics from the same authors to really garner an opinion of a favorite. Meaning I haven't read a lot of Jane Austen or F. Scott Fitzgerald to consider them favorites.

9. In your opinion, what makes a classic a classic? 

     - It's staying power and what the story does for the time. If the themes from s story that was written 200 years ago are as relevant now as they were back then, you definitely have a classic.

10. Relating to newer books, what attributes does a book need to have in order to be worthy of the title “classic”?

     - Reality. If you can take words on a page and apply them to your day to day life, if you can understand the characters and see the human side to them the mirrors the world, then that story will be a classic for ages to come. 


4 comments:

  1. The Wizard of Oz series is so sweet! I just reread the first one and want to reread the others! That's true, Frankenstein does have a lot of potential that it didn't fill. C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread the series too. It was the first series that really got me interested in the fantasy genre. I didn't think Frankenstein was ever going to end! The constant and mundane descriptions really damaged an otherwise good storyline.

      Delete
  2. I'm still wanting to read Wizard of Oz series. And I love the Caddie Woodlawn book ... and other books by that author.
    Thanks for doing the tag! Great answers!
    And love what you say about reality for a classic.

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t read The Wizard of Oz in ages. I really should though. And I almost know Caddie Woodlawn by heart now!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.