Sunday, February 10, 2019

We Love Shakespeare Week - Tag


It's finally here!

Now I will admit, I have never been a reader of Shakespeare. 
However, I have watched several screen adaptions of his plays and have loved all of them!

For this week I'll be reviewing:

Much Ado About Nothing - 1993 film by Kenneth Branagh

The Hollow Crown Series

Richard II

Henry IV Pt. 1 and 2

Henry V

Tales From Shakespeare
by Charles and Mary Lamb

I finished my review for Much Ado About Nothing on Friday, I'm about to start on Richard II and as I write this I'm watching Henry IV! I did sign up for quite a bit, but that's the fun!

~ ~ ~


Here's a link to >>>Hamlette's giveaway <<<post and she has some great giveaways!

 ~ ~ ~

Before I start Hamlette's tag I wanted to post a video of one of the most prolific Shakespeare devotee of my generation (and he is in two of my reviews). 

 

~ ~ ~

Hamlette's Tag

1. When and how did you first encounter Shakespeare's plays?

- I grew up with learning about Shakespeare's plays, but my first actual introduction was Kenneth Branagh's 1993 film adaption of Much Ado About Nothing.

2. What are your favorite Shakespeare plays? (Go ahead and list as many as you like!)

- Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V and The Merchant of Venice

3. Who are some of your favorite characters in his plays? (Again, list however many suits you.)

- Lord Benedick of Padua, Henry V, Henry IV, Portia (from The Merchant of Venice), John of Gaunt

4. Have you seen any of his plays performed, whether live or on film?

- Yes, but all in films

5. Have you read any of his plays?

- Only through Tale From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

6. Share a dream cast for one of your favorite Shakespeare plays.

Much Ado About Nothing
20??

7. What draws you to Shakespeare's plays? (Language, themes, characters, the fact that they're famous, whatever!)

- His understanding of people, all people. He knew how to write about dysfunctional families and loving families. He also held woman in high esteem. He wrote them as strong and intelligent and were frequently heroes of their own respective stories. Shakespeare also wrote many plays of relationships between fathers and daughters, a theme you don't often see in writing at that time. 

8. Do you have any cool Shakespeare-themed merchandise, like t-shirts or mugs or bookmarks, etc? Share pictures if you can!



9. How do you go about understanding his language? (Do you prefer copies with translation notes, look things up online, or just read so much stuff written in Elizabethan English that you totally know what everyone's saying?)

- Sometimes just listening and letting the translation come gradually. 

10. What are some of your favorite lines from Shakespeare? (Maybe limit yourself to like ten, okay?)
“I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest.”- Much Ado About Nothing
“Thou and I are too wise to woo peaceably.”- Much Ado About Nothing
“This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,--This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.”- Richard II
“O God of battles, steel my soldier's hearts.
Possess them not with fear. Take from them now
The sense of reckoning ere th' opposed numbers
Pluck their hearts from them.” - Henry V
“God shall be my hope, my stay, my guide and lantern to my feet.”- Henry V 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is such a great dream cast for Much Ado About Nothing! I would definitely watch that. :) I haven't ever read or seen King Henry V, but those are great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can literally see Tom Hiddleston and Michelle Dockery going at it with one another : ) I love the quotes in Henry V! Both of those quotes are taken from Henry's prayers at Agincourt, which are beautiful in their entirety.

      Delete
  2. LOVED the Tom Hiddleston video! I really adore how passionate he is about Shakespeare. Such a cool dude. Also, he's touching a First Folio. And reading from it. Swoon.

    We have two fave plays in common! Much Ado and Merchant. Very cool.

    Tales from Shakespeare is awesome, and I want to reread it at some point. I saw the prettiest hardcover copy at Barnes & Noble the other day, but didn't buy it, and now I'm kicking myself for that. But I think your vintage copy is even more droolworthy.

    I would so watch that version of Much Ado with your dream cast! So very there. Hiddleston and Cumberbatch as two of my fave Shakespeare characters? So there.

    Looking forward to your forthcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow it just seemed fitting to have Tom Hiddleston to start off Shakespeare Week on my blog! And he's kind of becoming the Kenneth Branagh of my generation as well, plus as I said, he's also in two of my movie reviews. So, yeah definitely fitting.

      I've alsways loved Much Ado About Nothing and now I've discovered a love for The Merchant of Venice and also Twelfth Night!

      I just finished reading the book and it was a great way for me to better understand his stories. So, now I can go one and actually read the real plays. I love my vintage book, but unfortunately it's falling apart, so I had to be careful when I read it.

      I'm actually quite happy with the casting of Much Ado About Nothing too! And I'm surprised that Hiddleston and Cumberbatch haven't done any Shakespeare together?!

      This blog party has been so much fun! And an incentive to write some long overdue movie reviews!

      Delete
  3. I decided to come and check out your blog after you so sweetly commented on mine and started following me! I'm so glad to be in the company of another Shakespeare fanatic. I love love love your cast idea for Much Ado About Nothing. Michelle Dockery would be the best Beatrice ever. This is marvelous - and Benedict Cumberbatch needs to do a Shakespearean production with Tom Hiddleston. That's definitely a no-brainer. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow too! I wouldn't call myself a Shakespeare fanatic, I'm still in the beginning stages, but do to this blog party, I have definitely gained an interest in him!

      I don't think anything or anyone can top Kenneth Branagh's version of Much Ado About Nothing, but I do my love my cast list. I would love to see Tom Hiddleston and Michelle Dockery together!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.