Monday, November 18, 2019

2012 Was Lit


     As this year draws to a close (I can't believe how fast it went!), I like to think back on previous years and I remembered specifically how great 2012 was. One primary reason was that I started college that year which was probably the best decision I ever made. It was primarily a great year for media and entertainment. Multiple blockbusters and the beginning of the British drama revival as well as some great hits that were dropped. The London Olympics was on fire and is still my favorite Olympic Games so far. I was also just a year into my blog and was really beginning rekindle my love for blogging and writing. And I discovered Pinterest...and there's been no looking back since! 

Television


2012 was the year of Downton Abbey mayhem. It swept the Emmy awards and everywhere you turned, whether it was late night television or the catwalk, Downton Abbey was used as inspiration. With the onset of Downton Abbey, there was a Renaissance in British Drama as well as a new found interest in Edwardian and WWI history. Season 2 premiered earlier that year and it was safe to say that Downton Abbey fever was alive and well.


While Downton Abbey may have reigned supreme in the British Drama Renaissance, Sherlock was gaining rapid momentum as well. Sherlock hysteria was on the same level of Downton Abbey mayhem. Both programs were explosive successes and unexpected juggernauts for the revival of BBC and ITV entertainment. In spite of people's initial hesitation to accept the updated detective, Benedict Cumberbatch's breathtaking performance as the handsome, but enigmatic detective took the world by storm. Both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman went from well known English actors to overnight successes. This new and cool Mr. Holmes was here to stay.

Movies


Even though the MCU had been gaining momentum since the introduction of Iron Man in 2008, followed by Iron Man 2 in 2010, and Thor and Captain America in 2011, the culmination of the heroes (and the addition of several others) made for the box office success of The Avengers. I actually had no interest in Marvel or it's extended universe franchise until I saw The Avengers and strangely enough, it was same story for many other people. However, it was Tom Hiddleston's performance as the tortured and lonely Loki that truly won over Marvel fans and skyrocketed the once unknown actor's career.



Oddly enough I didn't see Les Miserables until the next year, but it was on the top of my '2012 to see movie list.' Excited hesitation was pretty much the feeling for all Les Miserables fans. Bringing together an all star cast, of which most didn't have a stage background, might have been a risk. There was great deal of anxiety regarding the casting of Anne Hathaway as Fantine. However, after her performance of I Dreamed a Dream she broke hearts all over the world and helped her grab the Oscar for best actress. It was also the introduction of Eddie Redmayne to American audiences and who has now gone on to star in many exceptional and successful films (including The Theory of Everything where he won best Oscar for his incredible portrayal of Stephen Hawking).


The most anticipated movie of the year. It certainly met my expectations and I was thrilled that it was going to be a trilogy series. The Hobbit was a great way to end the year. I remember creating my Pinterest board for The Hobbit and getting so excited everytime a new picture or video surfaced the internet. I read the book and managed to memorize the names of all the dwarves before the movie. Martin Freeman nailed it as Bilbo Baggins. Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner and Dean O'Gorman did what many thought impossible and made the dwarves the irresistible heartthrobs of the story. Well done on all fronts. 

Music

2012 was the year for great summer music and these were the top hits that were blaring from every car stereo, Starbucks, Wal-Mart and i-pods. 

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson


Wide Awake by Katy Perry


Catching My Breath by Kelly Clarkson


Diamonds by Rihanna


Some Nights by Fun


Brokenhearted by Karmin


Live While We're Young by One Direction


Songs that were actually released in 2011, but I didn't really get into them until the next year

What Make You Beautiful by One Direction


Domino by Jessie J


Want You Back by Cher Lloyd


Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson


The 2012 London Olympics


     I've grown up watching many Olympic Games, but the London 2012 Olympics has to have been one the best Olympics to date. England brought their pride to the front and America wasn't too far behind. We dominated in swimming, gymnastics and track and field. I did some major Olympic binging when the nightly news recaps from the sporting events aired from 6:00 P.M. to midnight. You can read my highlights from the Olympics -->here<--

Do you have any years that are particularly memorable? 

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe that 2012 was so long ago! I loved watching the Olympics! They are so, so, great. I can't believe all of those movies came out in 2012! I didn't watch Les Mis until 2013, and the others were mostly new for me just this year. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing when you look back and realize how great some years were. And you hope that the present and upcoming years can hold the same memories.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Sherlock was huge for me. 2012 was when I transferred from online community college to on campus public university. So, yeah, I guess 2012 was big for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sherlock craze was insane and what is great to actually be part of an active fandom too. Oftentimes I find TV shows long after they've ended, so I miss out on all the excitement.

      Delete
  3. AVENGERSSSSSSSS! *clears throat* That's really the only thing on this list that I'm familiar with, though I love those Kelly Clarkson songs. She's actually one of my favorite singers-along with Taylor Swift.
    I'd love to see Les Mis, and The Hobbit sometime....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Avengers mayhem was particularly memorable in 2012 and after that I was a total MCU fan. I've always liked Kelly Clarkson too, however, I have a lot of problems with Taylor Swift. She's just not a decent person, so I don't support her.

      Delete
  4. Same. The Avengers made me a Marvel fan. Though I do like the X-Men movies.
    Kelly Clarkson seems like one of those celebrities who's genuinely a nice person. I don't know her personally, though. That's just how she seems in interviews.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.