Monday, March 25, 2019

I Committed a Crime

No seriously, I actually did.

     On March 2, around 7:45 I was pulled over for speeding. I was going over 60 in a 35 mile zone. In Virginia that's a reckless driving count and a criminal offense. I've been driving for ten years and while my driving record isn't perfect, I had never received a speeding ticket.

     Until now. 

     However, I wasn't speeding because I was late for anything and of course I wasn't drinking. I've been driving down that stretch of road since I was 18 and I simply wasn't paying attention to the surrounding signs. On that account, my conscience is absolutely clear. 

     Today I had to appear in court. For the last three weeks I have been stressing as to what is going to be in store for me. An obvious fine of least $300, possibly more and having to take a driver's class. I have the money in the bank and a driver's course isn't that hard. Yet, in court today it was simply an arraignment. I had to come into court to have them give me another court date. May 23. 2 months away. Needless to say, I was very angry and disappointed. I was hoping that everything would be over and I could go on enjoying my job and looking forward to spring.

     Now I've been to court before for other minor offenses and manged to get them taken care of in one day. Reckless driving is a criminal charge and it can't be over and done with in a few hours. So, now I get to spend the next two months wondering what is still in store for me.

     There are some positives. I'm not going to jail, the judge wavered that. And there's a possibility of getting a lawyer who has a law office close by. My one fear is having my license suspended. I've had that done before and it's terrible. Without my license, I lose my job and almost feel like my livelihood is taken away from me.

     People have been helpful and encouraging and I appreciate that. I feel like I should write this because I cannot stress now how truly damaging speeding is. At least I was caught by a police officer and didn't risk actually harming somebody on the road. 

    Any prayers for the impending day in court (May 23) are much appreciated. I don't want to lose my license or my job. There have been many changes in my life since 2018 and I want to enjoy them. I've lost weight, finally have a good job, learning to swim and looking forward to a fun summer. I don't want my happiness to put on hold either.

     My site statement is beauty, truth, joy, love. These are the attributes, the traits, the qualities that my site promotes. Beauty in all things, truth in all things, joy in all things and love in all things. The truth is very important to me. And the truth that I have learned since the 2nd of March is that reckless behavior (whether intended or not) can be an immediate downfall. This isn't a bump in the road for me. It's a headfirst crash on the pavement. And I'm doing everything I can to keep standing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.