Sunday, April 29, 2018

News (More like scandalous details about my former job)


Wow! I can't believe that May is almost here!

     It's been a while since I've posted just some random, day to day news about my life, however, the news I have is really far from random. Tomorrow, it'll be a month since I left my job at the restaurant. After almost a year and I had finally had it with my boss. To be honest, I enjoyed my work as a waitress, but both of my bosses were very difficult to deal with. They were a father and son and to be honest they were not the most fair of employers. 
  • They cheated the waitresses out of their pay (I was suppose to be making around $50 a week, I was only making $26.50)
  • They were violating health service laws (smoking indoors, using expired food, continuing to serve alcohol pass the actual closing time, etc.)
  • If a waitresses made an order mistake with food, then they expected the waitresses to pay for the food.
  •  They allowed men to harass waitresses. 
  • If a waitress left and asked them for a reference then they would say that this particular worker was lazy, selfish, late, argumentative, etc.
  • After one waitress left, they went to that person's house and threatened them to never talk about where they worked before.
  • They allowed several drug deals to go on outside the restaurant.
  • They hired heroin addicts. 
  • Once my boss "came on to me" by coming up next to me and beginning to stroke my back, which made me very uncomfortable.
     So, as you can imagine it was time for me to leave. After an incident where my boss threatened to fire me for telling the truth, I was well and truly done. My boss had been smoking inside the restaurant and several customers could smell it. They asked me about it and while I was tempted to lie, I said that it was the boss. One of the customers was highly sensitiveness to smoke and they weren't able to stay because she was beginning to have an allergy attack. 

     My boss came out and asked them what was going on and the customers confronted him saying that smoking inside of a building was a health violation and against the law. My boss then bold face lied to their faces and told them he hadn't been smoking! The customers then pointed out that they had asked the waitress and I had said that he had been the one smoking prior to them entering the building.

     After they left, my boss was enraged and went off on me. Spewing nonsense such as "How could you do something like that?? And if you ever do something that stupid again, I will fire you!" If I do something stupid? You were the one breaking the law genius and you're taking it out on me because you effed up and got caught. So, finally I made the command decision to leave after my shift and I did.

     And it has been glorious! I've been helping my mom with her business Virginia Soaps & Scents which has been a Godsend for her and I've really enjoyed being in the shop. Meanwhile, I have been looking for another job and I finally have a job interview!!!

     On May 14, I have a job interview for a full time job at The Children's Center in Suffolk! This would be an amazing career opportunity for me and I'm so excited! So prayers for a successful interview would be much appreciated!

     It is unfortunate that I stayed in my former job situation for so long, allowing myself to go under such abuse so I can make next to nothing. Thankfully, not all food service jobs are like this, but I would hope that anyone who finds themselves in situations where their moral decisions are compromised will find the strength to get out. 

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! That definitely sounds like a bad situation. I'm glad you got out and that you're mainly okay!!

    And I hope your interview goes splendidly! You'll do great! I'll be praying. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.