Saturday, June 11, 2022

Top Gun: Maverick

 

I had grown up knowing about the 80s cult classic film, Top Gun, but never actually watched it till 2015. Afterwards it became my favorite film of the year; I must have watched it five times! So naturally when I found out that they were making a sequel, I wasn't holding out a lot of hope. I mean, Top Gun is a good film, but it's like Dirty Dancing in many ways; it's more of the nostalgia of when the film was made that is one of the reasons why it's considered a classic. However, after reading some great reviews, I decided to give it a shot. Could this sequel live up to its towering predecessor?

Yes. It did. Above and beyond anyone's expectations.


35 years after his heroic flight against the feared Russian MiGs of the Cold War, Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell is still causing trouble. As wild and as reckless with billion dollar merchandise as he has always been, Pete's disregard of the rules has put his career on the line multiple times. The only reason he's still flying is because he's best friends with Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, his former rival from his Top Gun days. While Tom rose to the top and achieved a brilliant career and family life Peter remained single and free. 

In one last effort to save his career, Pete is given orders to return to NAS North Island to train a new generation of Top Gun recruits. The mission is to take out an unsanctioned uranium plant that is located in deep within a deadly canyon. On top of that, the plant is heavily fortified by 5th generation fighter pilots that severely outnumber the men and women on this elite team.

While Pete despises teaching (he only survived two months as a former Top Gun instructor) he gets a total wake up call when he comes face to face with the same arrogance, recklessness and determination that he built his life around. Not to mention ushering in some great memories (and people) from his younger days. As Pete begins to build his team he struggles to come to terms with Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw, the son of his best friend Nick "Goose" who was killed years before. Bradley is angry at Pete for holding him back in his career and seeks to defy him in anyway possible.

In the wake of a painful loss, Pete and his team gear up for their mission knowing that their margin for success is miniscule. Not one but two miracles have to be performed and Pete will take whatever risk he can find to ensure that every member of his team returns home. 


I have to admit and agree with people when I say it really has been a while since I've seen a good action flick that is made to be both entertaining and enlightening. While the movie definitely did a great job of giving nods to its predecessor, it still manged to create a simple straightforward story of its own. It didn't necessarily repeat the original film, but in many ways proves that there really is nothing new under the sun. The same lifestyle that was being lived at NAS and Top Gun in San Diego during 1986 is still being lived to the fullest in 2021/22. 

I also loved that the film really didn't focus on the enemy side either. Instead it focused on Pete returning to the place that molded his skills and courage, so he could then pass it on to the next generations to follow and fly after him. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the original as a kid however, over the years I despised Tom Cruise and didn’t agree with him on ALOT of things. So when Lando and I went to see Top Gun Maverick I was iffy on it. But I gotta say it was enjoyable. Even tho I spent most the movie dwelling on the fact that Rooster was in the Divergent series and that he was Dauntless, and that this movie was very dauntless like in nature. But I didn’t like that he has the horrid military/cop mustache but it’s to be like his dad so understandable .

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the firs 15 min. into the film and I was completely sold! I love how they kept harkening back to the original film with little bits of nostalgia and that alone made the film fun to watch. I've never seen the Divergent series, so I'm a little out of the loop about Miles Teller, but to be honest I think Rooster is a little overrated. He had a pretty cliché storyline.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.