Sunday, April 18, 2021

A Knight's Tale

Loosely inspired by the works of Geoffrey Chaucer, A Knight's Tale is an exceptionally fun and riotous film about a young man who dared to defy social convention and do the impossible. Create an honorable knight from a penniless squire. A veritable array of comedy, drama, action and romance, I really didn't know what to expect when I first watched A Knight's Tale, but as soon as Queen's "We Will Rock You" started playing...I realized that this story was going to be anything but historically accurate. 




William Thatcher always believed that he could be more than what he was. However as a squire and a poor tailor's son from Cheapside, England, William's whole life has been mapped out for him since birth. Always poor, always struggling, always in line. That all changes when Will's master is killed in a jousting competition. With their master dead, Will and his friends, Wat and Roland, are alone with no food or money. Will takes it upon himself to take his master's place in some hopes to save himself and his friends. When he wins, he starts to think that maybe this wasn't a coincidence. If he can pass as a lord once, why can't he do it again? Or better yet, become the real thing? For any peasant to dress and act above their station is a death penalty, but Will is willing to take that risk. 

With Wat and Roland training him, the help of a clever writer and forger, Geoff, who creates Will's  false noble lineage and the skill of Kate the smithy and her brilliant armor, William Thatcher is transformed into Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein from Gelderland. As Will and his crew travel to Paris, competing in numerous events, he becomes an immediate favorite with the crowds and even wins the favor of the crown prince of England. Yet, Will becomes more determined to win when he meets Jocelyn, a beautiful, high spirited noblewoman who challenges him in everyway. However, Jocelyn's suitor, Adehmar, takes an immediate disliking to the young knight and sets out to destroy Will and his chances of victory.


 A Knight's Tale is an absolute delight. The infusion of modern day language and clothes added fun and whimsy, not to mention an excellent classic rock soundtrack that ranges from Queen to AC/DC. Heath Ledger nailed the role as the romantic and daring Will Thatcher. He was a hero that you were rooting from day one. Yet, even the midst of Will's growing success, he doesn't forget who he is nor does he undervalue the people who stand by his side. The supporting characters were excellent. I loved Geoff Chaucer (played by the a m a z i n g Paul Bettany) and how they incorporated the real author into his own creation. Hot headed Wat, practical Roland and modern thinking Kate manage to keep Will grounded and insist that he have fun from time to time.

I really enjoyed how Jocelyn was written; strong without being overly annoying. She was someone who was bound by her station just as much as Will was bound to his. Jocelyn was content being a noblewoman as long as she made the rules regarding how she lived and who she loved. And Rufus Sewell as evil and calculating Adhemar? Perfection!

While certainly not historically accurate, A Knight's Tale is epically fun. It's not suppose to be accurate or follow any certain set of rules. It's been one of my favorite films for years and when I think of 'epic story' A Knight's Tale is usually the first movie that comes to mind.



6 comments:

  1. This movie is so great! I'd seen snippets of it for years then when I finally saw the whole thing it didn't disappoint. Not a lot of people like Jocelyn, so I appreciate how you described her character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love A Knight's Tale! Jocelyn really grew on me as I got older, when I was little I always wanted him to get with the blacksmith though! Who knows why, as she's very clearly not a love interest - I love how she's just part of the gang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate was awesome! She really just came in and became the big sister for these guys that really needed her.

      Delete
  3. My brothers showed me this one when I was younger. I loved it! Such a fun movie!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.