Sunday, December 23, 2018

Goodreads Reviews: Gypsy Magic



Gypsy Magic by Tonya Royston

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After her mother gets a job promotion that relocates her to Russia, eighteen year old Gracyn Pierce leaves her home in Washington D.C. to attend her senior year of high school in the quaint town of Sedgewick, Massachusetts. It doesn't take long for Gracyn to find out that Sedgewick has a dark scandal regarding the murder of 12 year old Cassie Dumante, with her older brother, Lucien, being the supposed murderer.

This scandal has rocked the little town and its inhabitants for the last two years, but everyone is set on edge when Lucien returns to finish school. Although there wasn't enough evidence to convict him, all of Sedgewick are convinced that he is Cassie's murderer. However, Gracyn finds herself somewhat pulled toward him, in ways that seem unnatural.

However, Lucien Dumante is not the only unnatural worry in Gracyn's life. A terrible accident caused by Gracyn herself that left a man in a coma, odd phone calls and presents, a history teacher with ties to her family, her sister and brother in-law's secrets they try to keep from her and most of all, Gracyn's fear of horses that begins to dissipate when she meets Gypsy, a brilliant horse who becomes her friend and eventual protector.

All of this and more are bound to Gracyn, to Sedgewick and to the once unknown family past that goes beyond unnatural and reaches clear into the supernatural.

When I first started reading the book, I was somewhat disappointed when in less than 24 hours Gracyn just so happens to meet Alex, the best looking and most desired guy in town, who's in a band and is also really smart...and is totally interested in her! I found that to be too cliche and overdone and kind of a knockoff from Twilight (which I still secretly love...shhhhhh).

But that is really my only fault with the story.

The rest of Gypsy Magic I found to be rather intriguing! While Gracyn's self-deprecation got rather annoying from time to time, I loved her curiosity and her drive to know more about the Dumante murder and try to see Lucien in an unbiased light. The funky little town of Sedgewick boasts a myriad of equally funky townspeople that makes you wonder if normalcy is prevalent at all. I also appreciated that not all the questions were answered and what was answered barely scratched the surface.

It actually reminded me a great deal of Mystic Falls, Virginia from The Vampire Diaries of which I believe is a favorite show of the authors!

I also had the pleasure of meeting Tonya Royston and having her autograph my copy of the book! Her writing is simple and concise and she does a very good job at keeping the storyline and characters vague and from a distance. They don't come to you to be understood; you slowly come to them. And the ending had me pleasantly surprised! I will definitely be reading the next two books in 2019!

A great read for any supernatural, mystery or romance lover and also for anyone who has ever had a deep connection with horses or has ever wanted one at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : )

I love getting comments, long or short, whether you agree with me or not. .

Just be kind. I don't tolerate any rudeness at all. So just be careful with what you write and how you write it.